• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Guess the "What's he making now" game...

Sandor27

Pretty much done hunting this year, (might go out if weather/time/interest drives me to look for a freezer doe). So let's play a game. Guess what I am making here.
I'll post up a photo every hour or few and see if you can figure it out. Sorry no prizes available ;)

Tender 6.jpg
Hint: This is just a scrap plate I am using for stock. External circle shape not important....

OK, yes I made a mess.... My shop floor kinda always looks like this:
Tender Mess.jpg
But not the answer I'm looking for.....

Well you have it away with your picture name. It's a prusik tender

Booooo. Cheater. No fair. OK, I was sloppy. I already admited to making messes..... Sure. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Climbing hitch tender to replace the micro pulley in my SRT setup. Weighs only 21grams where my pulley is 126g. I could buy a pulley as light as 65g, but what fun would that be?

Here are the rest of the build pics...

I hope this post inspires guys to DIY. Simple hand tools, a drill press, a disc sander, and a bandsaw is all I needed. I could have done this without the bandsaw or disc sander too but they are very efficient. Oh, but I did cheat a little - I turned the inside radius on my lathe. That would have taken a long time to file....
Tender 4.jpgTender 3.jpg

After filing and sanding I spent less than 10 minutes at my buffing wheel. Not necessary, but makes it pretty.
Tender 2.jpg

Cross pinned with a brass dowel.Tender 1.jpg

Smaller and lighter than a true pulley....
Tender 8.jpg

It works, but not as well as the pulley. It sits lower then the pulley and so I have to pull more to get it to tend the hitch. If I had to do it over, I would make the carabiner hole sit lower than the ring so it would contact sooner.

Next time I will name my photos "DONT LOOK AT THIS TITLE 1.jpg". :p

Sandor27

Last edited:
That is awesome. Excellent workmanship. Can you flip it over on the rope to move the tender up?
Thanks....
Nah, the carabiner hole is on center to the ring. The small hole at the top is to hook a paracord line to a neck strap to pull the tender up as I climb. I might redo it with a different mounting plate that puts the carabiner hole lower.

Thanks....
Nah, the carabiner hole is on center to the ring. The small hole at the top is to hook a paracord line to a neck strap to pull the tender up as I climb. I might redo it with a different mounting plate that puts the carabiner hole lower.
I actually realized that after I posted . . . not enough coffee at that point I guess. Still a really nice job!

Back