• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gun hunting out of a saddle?

robertreed711

New to the world of saddles and primarily a bowhunter but gun hunt as well. I don't hear much about people using a saddle for gun hunting. So do any of you guys use a saddle for gun hunting?

I'm primarily a bowhunter but I also rifle and muzzleloader hunt from my saddle. It actually makes a really nice rifle hunting rig. Since you're facing the tree you can use the tree as a rest. The bridge also provides another potential rest.

I hunt with bow, ML and rifle out of the saddle. Long guns are easy to use, they rest nice on your bridge and plenty of different ways to stabilize for the shot. Just like anything else, practice before the hunt

i use a gun with a saddle, but prefer archery. My oly issue which has been resolved with a platform was the reload on a bp rifle.

I use a bow, shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader, and also carry a pistol. Haven't shot the pistol yet from the saddle but can't wait to try it out (for those close-ups during gun season). In Michigan we can't use most rifles in the lower half of the state but can use pistols and shotguns.

I'd really like to bring this thread up again! Took the saddle out on the rifle opener. I found that this was a bit more difficult to get set up than I originally thought and practiced. My bridge and tether were a little to low to effectively use as a rest or to stabilize the shot. I ended up using a screw in hear hangar but as you can imagine it seriously limiting. I'm struggling to come up with ways to effectively use my setup to rifle hunt. I'm very curious to hear your and hopefully some has some pictures or videos to demonstrate.
I did find something called the steady-strap. The theory behind it seems to fit the bill. Has any one ever used this??

I’m glad you started this thread I’m having the same problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An extra versa strap or the tag end of your LB girth hitched above the tether works great to stabilize as well......

Archery hunted 2yrs from a saddle......missed 2 times. Gun hunted the same......killed 2.....LOL. Of course I like gun hunting from the saddle.

I shot a doe with a crossbow at my 5 o'clock position a month ago. I held the end of the stock with my left hand, my right hand on the pistol grip and sighted with my left eye. I can use a shotgun only with slugs in my area, no rifles. I guess this same type of shot will be difficult with a shotgun. What can I do?

I’ll do it next time I’m on the trigger..... just for a quick overview imagine your facing the tree (12oclock) & you girth hitch a versa strap or LB around the tree head high while standing, then with the gun over the tether & pointed down range at (11oclock) hold the strap in my left fist & inch up & down for elevation & adjust accordingly if you can do this in conjunction with resting against the tree it’s deadly accurate. I’ll still post a pic

Last edited:
This is where being a sitter has a significant advantage, in my opinion. Set your tether/bridge so that your legs are perpendicular to the tree, tuck your elbows in tight, and lean into the bridge and/or tree when possible. I like a rifle with a short stock for this reason - The tighter I can stuck my elbows, the steadier I am. Knees against the tree and use the tree as a rest for forward facing shots 9:00 to 3:00. Sit "sideways" with knees pointed toward 9:00 and legs against the tree (or 3:00 if lefty) for all rear facing shots.

If using a ROS, just move around the tree, using the tree as a rest/gun turret. I like to use a platform for bow season and a quasi-ROS for gun season for this reason. (Top of single stick with WE step on either side)

I’ve never really had trouble shooting unsupported. My rifle is sighted in.
All my shots have been under 100 yards with the deer trotting. (We use dogs)
I aim as best I can but I know I’m not trying to thread the needle, just hit the frying pan.
So far it has worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think trigger control and staying on target with a good follow through has helped the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back