• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gun Safety Scare - Safety Reminder

dlist777

I was sighting in my muzzy last weekend at the range. I loaded it with powder and bullet. I opened the breach, put in the primer and closed the breach and it fired. It was pointed down range so no harm but it scared the crap out of me. I was able to recreate the problem in my garage with just primer. See videos below.

I contacted the manufacturer and they will fix. My firing pin got bent somehow so it was protruding and making the gun go off when the action was closed and primer was in there. I guess two lessons:

(1) check your firing pin before each muzzy session...apparently this problem is rare but not unheard of esp with muzzleloaders and all the fouling that can happen and
(2) always point your gun in a safe direction, esp when closing the action.

No harm done except some more grey hairs....

Note: i clean my muzzy after each session so I don't think it was fouling in my case...just a firing pin malfunction...

Jesus man. Thanks for this - I'm picking up a gun from a buddy tonight to take on my trip out west, and will be shooting a lot over the next few weeks.

Like you said, every gun is loaded, and every gun doesn't need you to pull the trigger. So point the business end at something that you're ok with putting a bullet in at all times.

Wow heard of this happening before. Actually seen it happen with a Remington 700
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can happen pretty easy to any dirty break action including shotguns. Basically when your gun gets dirty it may take more force that the firing pin return spring has to push the pin back in. So it’s sitting there protruding into the spent primer. When you open the action it can bend the pin or break it. I could definitely see it happening with muzzleloaders because of their dirty nature. Some of your older shotguns had non hardened breech faces and over thousands of rounds metal closes up the hole for the firing pin and causes a similar issue.
Thanks for the reminder to never point a gun at something we don’t want to put holes in.

It can happen pretty easy to any dirty break action including shotguns. Basically when your gun gets dirty it may take more force that the firing pin return spring has to push the pin back in. So it’s sitting there protruding into the spent primer. When you open the action it can bend the pin or break it. I could definitely see it happening with muzzleloaders because of their dirty nature. Some of your older shotguns had non hardened breech faces and over thousands of rounds metal closes up the hole for the firing pin and causes a similar issue.
Thanks for the reminder to never point a gun at something we don’t want to put holes in.

This is consistent with what the gunsmith I took it to said. It's not an issue specific to the manufacturer; it's just something to be aware of in break action muzzies. That's why I didn't post the model of the gun in my original post...I don't want to bash a manufacturer here.

Wow heard of this happening before. Actually seen it happen with a Remington 700
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. My dad's boss had a 700 that just went off propped in the corner of a shooting house. What's crazy is he shrugged it off and kept hunting with it until it happened a 2nd time in a ladder stand!

That recent little issue with their triggers is one of several reasons I won't buy new remmys anymore.

Same. My dad's boss had a 700 that just went off propped in the corner of a shooting house. What's crazy is he shrugged it off and kept hunting with it until it happened a 2nd time in a ladder stand!

That recent little issue with their triggers is one of several reasons I won't buy new remmys anymore.

While completely off target...what in the sam hill are you holding in your avatar and why don't you have a shirt on? Looks like you're trying to reenact a Tarzan scene.

Back