• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gunsmith needed?

iamcorey

So I received a new custom barrel yesterday. Was putting her together, and during the mounting of the scope base, this happened.

I was not even putting much torque on it. I’ve mounted plenty of scopes in my life and never had this happen. It’s a Leupold base btw.

What do I do now? It’s flush or below flush. I’ve tried supergluing the torx head back on to remove. Went to bed pissed. Woke up pissed. Gonna test Leupold magical customer service this morning.
740acdce529d2084a450f691207bc888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drill out the center and use an EZ out extractor. I’ve never done a rifle barrel but I’ve done a bunch on small block chevys. Did one last week and it took maybe two minutes.

They make them that small. Been looking but not sure they exist.

3/32 is roughly .09 if my math is correct. Your base screw is probably a 6-48? If it is I think they are like .138 ish.

Of course if you have a gunsmith close they probably have the tools on hand. I have a good smith within 1/4 mile of my house so I’m spoiled when it comes to smiths.

I'd bring it to a 'smith. If I tried to do it myself on a drill press and screwed it up, the 'smith bill would be higher. These are tiny, case-hardened screws that offer zero margin of error.

If the 6-40 screw can't come out without drama, someone will have to drill and tap it, and your other scope mounting screws, for 8-40. Unless you have the right, specialized jigs and tools, that's a job for a 'smith.

Tried turning it with a punch. Also applied acetone to assist with Leupold blue stuff on their threads. No luck.

Sent it back to manufacturer for them to remove screw and install their TSOB (scope rail). They were super cool, and I had a $30 credit along with free return shipping from a mix up on the order.

Here’s a preview of what I’ll be carrying to the woods this season.
d58c73752b3b9e8ac5d69b3d396e9a0b.jpg

4db7c37a3bdd8711fc346ddab8a3f910.jpg

Back