• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gunsmith Question

iamcorey

Happy 4th everyone. I recently picked up a “project” barrel for my 12 gauge Winchester 120 Ranger. It’s current state is 24” cylinder bore. It was cut in the past. Looks like they did a good job and had bead reinstalled.

What I’m wanting is to have it threaded for a choke. Maybe even cut down further. I’ve spoken with a local gunsmith. His ballpark for cutting and threading is $200-$250. Is that normal? Might just get it threaded if possible.

Are there any places recommended to send the barrel to get this done?

In the end I want this to be a usable turkey barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad price! You certainly can't send it anywhere and get it done any cheaper unless you find a gunsmith that is just starting and trying to make a name for his or herself!!

Not a bad price! You certainly can't send it anywhere and get it done any cheaper unless you find a gunsmith that is just starting and trying to make a name for his or herself!!

Gotcha. I’m gonna talk to him about just threading for choke.

That's a steal assuming he doesn't mess it up. I have a 1951 wingmaster in 16 gauge that I'd love to get threaded and have a bend in the barrel straightened out. Kinda scared to screw up an original production year gun though.

Let me know if you're happy with your guy's work. I may have to make a drive.

I don't know the Ranger, but for my Remington 870 you can just buy and swap barrels. Is that an option with your 120? I picked up a 30" threaded and beaded barrel for my for $75.

I have a 28” vent ribbed barrel with bead and removable choke.

On impulse buy I Picked this barrel up for $75 to mess with. Didn’t think it would be that expensive to modify. Some of the 1300, 1200 barrels work on the 120. From what I’ve read they made a turkey barrel for the 1300 but I’m having trouble finding one.

It might just get resigned to home defense if it’s too pricey.

Last edited:
I have a 28” vent ribbed barrel with bead and removable choke.

On impulse buy I Picked this barrel up for $75 to mess with. Didn’t think it would be that expensive to modify. Some of the 1300, 1200 barrels work on the 120. From what I’ve read they made a turkey barrel for the 1300 but I’m having trouble finding one.

It might just get resigned to home defense if it’s too pricey.

Might be your best bet!!!

Marty Kolbet, Twisted barrel, just give it a google, he does all my custom rifle work, the guy is super honest and good at what he does, his turn around time is really fast too, I have never waited more than 2 or 3 weeks for anything from him, I belive there are other “ gunsmiths” pimping out metal work to him as well since he is so reasonably priced. Cutting and threading a shot gun barrel should be easy.

Marty Kolbet, Twisted barrel, just give it a google, he does all my custom rifle work, the guy is super honest and good at what he does, his turn around time is really fast too, I have never waited more than 2 or 3 weeks for anything from him, I belive there are other “ gunsmiths” pimping out metal work to him as well since he is so reasonably priced. Cutting and threading a shot gun barrel should be easy.

Thanks. I checked their site and sent email. Website didn’t have anything about shotguns, but I’ll verify.

Ive never had any gunsmithing done so I may not be correct but u could also call and get a quote from a local machine shop....threading a barrel shouldn't be any different that threading regular tubing. Pretty sure there are a couple machinist on the forum...maybe they could chime in and correct me if I'm wrong

Ive never had any gunsmithing done so I may not be correct but u could also call and get a quote from a local machine shop....threading a barrel shouldn't be any different that threading regular tubing. Pretty sure there are a couple machinist on the forum...maybe they could chime in and correct me if I'm wrong

That might be a issue legal wise. I’m going to school part time on the side for gunsmithing now and technically to do work on other people’s firearms for money requires an ffl. But now if you were to get a “pipe” threaded...

Sent from parts unknown

Ffl required.....interesting. kinda stupid if u ask me....me thinks hydraulic cylinders see much higher pressures than a gun barrel and no special paperwork to work on those.....1 more way for big brother to watch over and save us from ourselves

Ffl required.....interesting. kinda stupid if u ask me....me thinks hydraulic cylinders see much higher pressures than a gun barrel and no special paperwork to work on those.....1 more way for big brother to watch over and save us from ourselves

Yeah, I’m still not 100% certain the exact reasoning but I’m assuming it’s just for handling of and for shipping/receiving purposes.

Sent from parts unknown

I have shipped many guns for custom gunsmithing work, UPS,Fed ex, the law reads according to my knowledge that if your shipping a firearm for repair you do not need a copy of an FFL for the person who is recieving it in order to ship it, if your selling a firearm like gunbroker then yes it must be shipped to a FFL address and y0u must present a copy to the shipper (UPS Fedex). Unless something has changed recently like in the last few months that has been my experience, I had an employee at a UPS terminal one day argue this and after several phone calls to her bosses she begrudgingly shipped it and said some nasty comments about guns LOL. Same as when you get your gun back from the smith it just comes right to your house, unlike buying one online there has to be a transfer handled through an FFL. This is the first time I have ever heard gunsmiths need an FFL now but nothing would surprise me anymore.

I have shipped many guns for custom gunsmithing work, UPS,Fed ex, the law reads according to my knowledge that if your shipping a firearm for repair you do not need a copy of an FFL for the person who is recieving it in order to ship it, if your selling a firearm like gunbroker then yes it must be shipped to a FFL address and y0u must present a copy to the shipper (UPS Fedex). Unless something has changed recently like in the last few months that has been my experience, I had an employee at a UPS terminal one day argue this and after several phone calls to her bosses she begrudgingly shipped it and said some nasty comments about guns LOL. Same as when you get your gun back from the smith it just comes right to your house, unlike buying one online there has to be a transfer handled through an FFL. This is the first time I have ever heard gunsmiths need an FFL now but nothing would surprise me anymore.

There are many different types of FFL. One of them is for gunsmithing. If you take money to work on guns, you need one.

The receiver or action is the “gun”, where the serial number is located, barrels you can buy off anti gun ebay

The receiver or action is the “gun”, where the serial number is located, barrels you can buy off anti gun ebay

It’s the lower receiver or portion of firearm with the trigger that is technically considered the weapon, all other portions are considered components (to include barrels). Manufacturers put the serial number on this portion but it is illegal to ship this portion (part with trigger assemble or where trigger is located) of a firearm without going through an ffl to transfer, such as lower receivers, pistols frames. Actions can be shipped without going through an ffl, ex being complete upper receiver, bolt actions without triggers attached, pistol slides etc..

Sent from parts unknown

Back