• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Guys using spurs

TheSurgeon

For those of you using climbing spurs is there a way to descend down the tree without leaving a rope behind?

For those of you using climbing spurs is there a way to descend down the tree without leaving a rope behind?
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope you can get to the answer by yourself, reading up here in various forums within the site. It’s not to be rude, but in my opinion, saddle hunting requires to be alert on what you’re doing and also know what you’re doing. Taking the easy route asking others what to use won’t help you in the tree when you’re facing a challenge.

I’m happy to share my (still limited while continuing learning) knowledge. Identify a technique and ask away if you truly can’t find the answer here on saddlehunter.com. Take this positively as a challenge, not as criticism.

Such wise people in here... I have climbed trees my whole life literally since I've been 9 I'm also not new to saddle hunting. Yes I am pretty new to climbing spurs but have no problem going up out down i would just rather rappel down to avoid extra damage to trees as im sure most would agree so I would appreciate just a simple answer to my question with out all your safety recommendations and oh such wise advise! Thank you to those who can actually give me a straight forward answer

Also im a very mobile hunter and don't like ro leave ANYTHING behind sometimes I only hunt trees one time just looking for the trick to rappel down and retrieve my rope from the ground if there is one

You threw us a softball...funny responses. :tonguewink:

But yes you can clip a paracord onto the repel line and pull it down after. It's been discussed on here a few times.

You can rappell without leaving anything behind. Me personally if you are flexible enough to bend down and touch your toes you will find it easier to just put the spurs back on and walk back down the tree. For me to rappell down I’m carrying 40’ of rope and 40’ of retrieval line. That’s a lot of rope to deal with at the base of a tree in the dark when I am tired and ready to get home. There are a couple things I want to try that I think will be an improvement but that’ll be this summer.

You can rappell without leaving anything behind. Me personally if you are flexible enough to bend down and touch your toes you will find it easier to just put the spurs back on and walk back down the tree. For me to rappell down I’m carrying 40’ of rope and 40’ of retrieval line. That’s a lot of rope to deal with at the base of a tree in the dark when I am tired and ready to get home. There are a couple things I want to try that I think will be an improvement but that’ll be this summer.

I’m with Eric on this one. I would like to add repelling to my bag of tricks. But wont pair it with my spurs.
I only use my spurs when heading way far in and i dont know where I will be, or even if I will end up in a tree.
They are my ultralight/ ultracompact setup.
I grab them also for those scout hunt scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such wise people in here... I have climbed trees my whole life literally since I've been 9 I'm also not new to saddle hunting. Yes I am pretty new to climbing spurs but have no problem going up out down i would just rather rappel down to avoid extra damage to trees as im sure most would agree so I would appreciate just a simple answer to my question with out all your safety recommendations and oh such wise advise! Thank you to those who can actually give me a straight forward answer
Perfect response.

I think this site is EXACTLY the place and the forum to be asking this question. This is literally THE FORUM for such questions.

You can use the single stick method only with aiders. So if you are in trouble and have an aider you can get down. I’ll dig up a link to DIYs video on how to do it.

Obviously you can use the climbers to come down and I recommend it. It’s not tough. Myself and other spur guys like @flinginairos like to keep our tether around the tree and secure to our bridge as a safety backup on the way down. Going down is a little more hairy than going up and it’s often dark at that time as well so it’s nice peace of mind to stay strapped in. Once I get about halfway down I remove the tether and just fly down the tree.

You could also repel

Check this out. You could carry a two step or larger aider to come down if you drop your spurs. Lightweight instance policy.

The only reason I’m still looking for a better way to rappell is because it cuts the tree damage in half. Not just half as many punctures but It’s hard to see my marks from climbing up. When I climb down I tend to roll my knee out as I’m removing the spur and it makes the hole much more visible. I don’t think it’s hurting the tree but it looks worse.

Some good info regarding rappelling and retrieving rope here -

Yep. You can easily rappel down and get your rope back. Everyone who does SRT or, like me, prefers to rappel down no matter what climbing method I use, gets their rope back down.

The only reason I’m still looking for a better way to rappell is because it cuts the tree damage in half. Not just half as many punctures but It’s hard to see my marks from climbing up. When I climb down I tend to roll my knee out as I’m removing the spur and it makes the hole much more visible. I don’t think it’s hurting the tree but it looks worse.

I hate climbing down using any method, especially in the dark. I feel much better rappelling down. I have even done it when using a base from my self climber kind of like an oversized LWHC. I just hooked my feet into the foot loops and disconnected the platform from the tree and came down in one go.

I use a 30’ rappel rope and a 30’ piece of paracord as a gear hauler and rope retriever.

Sometimes I leave my rope behind on purpose. Specifically when I’m coming back the next day. Then I use SRT to get back up.

I hardly ever take my gaffs off half the time I got a hook in the platform and a knee on the tree barely ever put my feet on platform unless I'm fixing to shoot ,but you gotta watch doing that with rubber boots that spike is rough on feet ..I'm still waiting on someone to come up with detachable spikes lol ,someone will

Back