• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HAD A BAD SCARE!!!!

CooterBrown

SH Member
I was doing a 630 to 12 noon set Saturday so I took the JX3 (man that thing is comfy). Around 9 am I'm leaning back enjoying the view when I start falling but not real fast. It was slow enough that I reacted and got my footing on my one-stick and grabbed my tether above my Kong Slide and was able to stand up and not fall. What happened was the rope pulled thru the slide. Not sure why or how it happened. Thankfully there was still enough rope resistance that it gave me time to react and not fall. Hopefully my stopper knot would have stopped me anyway. Using Edelrid Swift Protect Pro Dry 8.9mm rope. Any idea what went wrong.

Had the same thing happen with the same rope. It's why I always grimace a little when I see someone using something even a little out of spec. It's also why I think that tying an alpine buttery with the tag end of your rope and clipping it into your caribiner should be standard practice.

If you really like the Slyde (I do), I’ve had good luck with 9.0 mm Canyon C IV and Slyde combo. C IV is pretty cheap and easy to find.
Others have reported good things with Canyon Eilte, which is listed as a 9 mm rope, but is closer to 10 mm

I was doing a 630 to 12 noon set Saturday so I took the JX3 (man that thing is comfy). Around 9 am I'm leaning back enjoying the view when I start falling but not real fast. It was slow enough that I reacted and got my footing on my one-stick and grabbed my tether above my Kong Slide and was able to stand up and not fall. What happened was the rope pulled thru the slide. Not sure why or how it happened. Thankfully there was still enough rope resistance that it gave me time to react and not fall. Hopefully my stopper knot would have stopped me anyway. Using Edelrid Swift Protect Pro Dry 8.9mm rope. Any idea what went wrong.
As mentioned below your rope was slightly under spec. Try a 9mm or 10 mm rope. Your stopper knot if correctly tied would have eventually stopped you but I am sure that was still unnerving. Another thing you could try is tying a figure in the end and hooking it to your carabiner or even an additional friction hitch

Thanks for sharing. Good reminder to tie off.

I've got one set up on Canyon Elite but haven't really put it to paces.

When I got my 1st Slyde I tried it out with Ultra-Tech. That was definitely a No No...

They work good with C-IV for a while.

C-IV tends to develop 'hard spots' if it's constantly being used in the same spot.
^^^ I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
The fun part was trying to hold myself to the leaning tree and hook up my safeguard above my slide so that I would have something to hold me in the tree. I had used my linesmans belt to hold my backpack so everything was in a bind. Not fun for sure.

I have used the CT rollnlock on 8mm oplux it is rated for 8 mm and up.
Using friction hitch’s now.

Back