• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ham and pastrami

How’d you cure the pastrami and how big a roast did you do? Been meaning to try this out but just haven’t gone for it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How’d you cure the pastrami and how big a roast did you do? Been meaning to try this out but just haven’t gone for it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used the Hank Shaw recipe. Roast was 2-2.5 pounds just used measurements for 2 pounds. Made the sammich with pumpernickel and provolone. Would be good as a rueben too. Smoked with pecan til it hit 160 then wrapped in foil and let it rest for about a half hour.

Used the Hank Shaw recipe. Roast was 2-2.5 pounds just used measurements for 2 pounds. Made the sammich with pumpernickel and provolone. Would be good as a rueben too. Smoked with pecan til it hit 160 then wrapped in foil and let it rest for about a half hour.

The pastrami is on my list to try. Would you change anything next time around?

I corned a venison roast last weekend and cooked it up this weekend for rueben's. I based my recipe on a Hank Shaw recipe with a few twists.

142056.jpg74002.jpg174519.jpg

The pastrami is on my list to try. Would you change anything next time around?

I corned a venison roast last weekend and cooked it up this weekend for rueben's. I based my recipe on a Hank Shaw recipe with a few twists.

View attachment 86948View attachment 86949View attachment 86950
The recipe called for juniper berry and said you could moisten with brandy before the final seasoning layer. I didnt have brandy or juniberries. Would like to try it with those. Otherwise, no I wouldnt change anything really, turned out great. That corned roast of yours looks like it turned out well too.

The recipe called for juniper berry and said you could moisten with brandy before the final seasoning layer. I didnt have brandy or juniberries. Would like to try it with those. Otherwise, no I wouldnt change anything really, turned out great. That corned roast of yours looks like it turned out well too.

I will definitely be trying the pastrami, I will have to track down some juniper berries.

The corned venison came out great the 2 times I have made it. I changed a couple things on the Hank Shaw recipe based on reading several recipes. I used McCormics pickling spices, which has all the same spices as the recipe + cardamom, ginger, allspice, red pepper and mace (2 Tbl+ for 2.5lb roast). I toasted the pickling spices in a cast iron pan until fragrant with out burning. I toasted and added the same amount of pickling spices to the pot when I cooked the roast. I substituted brown sugar for the sugar. I have done it twice and forgot the garlic the second time and did not notice it. I will probably add it next time to see if I can tell the difference. I plan to do a corned beef brisket with the same recipe.
What I like about the corned venison is that it is so easy and so good.

I will definitely be trying the pastrami, I will have to track down some juniper berries.

The corned venison came out great the 2 times I have made it. I changed a couple things on the Hank Shaw recipe based on reading several recipes. I used McCormics pickling spices, which has all the same spices as the recipe + cardamom, ginger, allspice, red pepper and mace (2 Tbl+ for 2.5lb roast). I toasted the pickling spices in a cast iron pan until fragrant with out burning. I toasted and added the same amount of pickling spices to the pot when I cooked the roast. I substituted brown sugar for the sugar. I have done it twice and forgot the garlic the second time and did not notice it. I will probably add it next time to see if I can tell the difference. I plan to do a corned beef brisket with the same recipe.
What I like about the corned venison is that it is so easy and so good.
Good call on the McCormicks. I like all the additional spices in that mix anyway. I often sub brown sugar for regular sugar too. Bet that is some fine eats!!

Many of them trees we all call cedars are a juniper. Might be worth checking if the ones round you have edible “juniper” berries. I bet they do…

Many of them trees we all call cedars are a juniper. Might be worth checking if the ones round you have edible “juniper” berries. I bet they do…
Not going to say we dont have some juniper but most of what we have is eastern red cedar. Will dig into that and see if we have any juniper and where it might be found.

Have you ever used seek by inaturalist to identify plants and trees? It may provide information on whether you have a juniper or otherwise. I find it useful while scouting. They make the application for iphones and andriod operating systems.

I have the inaturalist app on my phone and use it a fair bit, esp plants that show browse if I dont know what they are.

Back