• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hammock Straps

bluetoofew

Jan 14, 2019
Has anyone tried replacing the lone wolf straps on their sticks with these hammock straps?

AMAZON LINK

Will they be too large to fit around each side of the button at 3/4 inches wide? Looks like its stitched about every 4 inches for half of the strap. Would that be too much play between "settings"?

I am considering getting a set of them and plan to cut them down to about 7.5 feet. Anything I should do to the strap after cutting it to make sure it is still safe to use?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
There was a link regarding a woven strap like this from dutchware and doublestep. They are sold out now. There is also someone on here sewing these for others. So, it has been done.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
Absolutely has been done. Wish I had kept my dutchman's straps when I sold my sticks. They worked very well, and would have been better than my Eno straps for hammocking.

bluetoofew

Jan 14, 2019
If I get a few different variations of these straps to try, is burning the cut side of the strap enough to maintain its integrity?

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
I got some of the woven loop straps from duthchwaregear.com a year or two ago. I, personally, didn’t like them with my hawk helium sticks with versa button - too much sag. Just my opinion. That said, I respect @nutterbuster’s opinion on this and it kinda makes me wonder if he was using the straps different than me!...

They do work great for hanging the hammock. No questions there.

Last edited:

bluetoofew

Jan 14, 2019
I saw that @ckossuth is making the versa and the versa lite straps. The straps I linked to above seem similar to his versa straps. I am very new to this and I am sure there are significant differences, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. One drawback of the one I linked to might be the florescent orange stitching.

The Spider Daisy Chain Webbing and the Woven Daisy Chain Webbing on Dutchwaregear.com are an inch wide. I am thinking that may be troublesome to fit around the versa button, but maybe I am over complicating things.

Any thoughts on burning the cut side of the these straps after cutting them? Think that the integrity will remain?

Last edited:

onestringer

SH Member
Aug 28, 2018
I am the guy with only one hobby, bowhunting. Since I don't golf, fish, play sports, go to strips clubs etc I get to spend all my extra money on bowhunting stuff. I have the dutchweargear daisy chain, versa strap and versa strap lite. I just melted the end on the dutchwear gear daisy chain, like other folks have stated that seems sufficient. I see a lot of sag with the daisy chains with my sticks. I still prefer using rope. I can set the stick exactly where I want and once the rope pinches on itself in the versa button it stays in place.

Reactions: rambotogo

bluetoofew

Jan 14, 2019
I am the guy with only one hobby, bowhunting. Since I don't golf, fish, play sports, go to strips clubs etc I get to spend all my extra money on bowhunting stuff. I have the dutchweargear daisy chain, versa strap and versa strap lite. I just melted the end on the dutchwear gear daisy chain, like other folks have stated that seems sufficient. I see a lot of sag with the daisy chains with my sticks. I still prefer using rope. I can set the stick exactly where I want and once the rope pinches on itself in the versa button it stays in place.

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I will skip this idea entirely.

What about and amsteel whoopie sling? Too much abrasion on the amsteel?

Sheldon

Oct 30, 2018

I tried it for awhile and went back to just rope. There’s a vid on YouTube about them. They worked but seemed, for me anyway, to be more of a hassle (getting caught on bark, etc) than just wrapping and tying off a rope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al

I use 1/4 amsteel as a rope mod. No need to mess with whoopie slings. After the amsteel gets stretch out a few times it won’t stretch any more. Replace if it wears to bad but I hadn’t had that problem.

bluetoofew

Jan 14, 2019
I ordered some Amsteel and I’m going to try to make my own daisy chain after seeing a few videos posted here.

I am also going to Post a WTB for some of that woven webbing from Dutchware in hopes of giving that a try too.

Reactions: Live4Now

Live4Now

Apr 18, 2019
I use amsteel with the daisy chain. When you pull down on the steps to lock them in place, the amount of movement to lock them in place is very similar to any other method. I'm personally happy with the lightweight and also the speed to attach the steps.