• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hand held release

Mackerel

I switched from a wrist rocket release to a thumb release this spring and have been shooting a ton, getting great groups out to 60 yards but opening quite a bit after that. I’m pretty sure that my only real anchors now, are my nose to the string and lining up the sight housing up in my peep. Keeping my index finger under my jawline isn’t as repeatable as I’d like. Does anyone know of a more repeatable way of anchoring for a handheld release? I just ordered a nose button that should be here soon, maybe that will fix the issues.

I hold my release in the middle section of my fingers, which creates sort of a V between my index and middle finger. I anchor with that "V" on my jaw line. Index finger just below jaw bone, middle finger just above. I try to keep everything in a straight line from my knuckles to my elbow, and just pull straight back, keeping my jaw bone between the V.
95f601a51082b83f1c9ce3a6a631ce7c.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I hold my release in the middle section of my fingers, which creates sort of a V between my index and middle finger. I anchor with that "V" on my jaw line. Index finger just below jaw bone, middle finger just above. I try to keep everything in a straight line from my knuckles to my elbow, and just pull straight back, keeping my jaw bone between the V.
95f601a51082b83f1c9ce3a6a631ce7c.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
What he said, consistent bow hand position and follow thru makes a difference too.

I'll add that I shoot much more consistently with only 2 fingers on the release. If I try to introduce a 3rd finger my groups start to open up at longer ranges.

For me it’s been my index knuckle at a certain point on my jaw bone and string touching the nose. I have found anchoring and accuracy dramatically improved when I went from wrist release to thumb release this year.

I’m using a nock2it with only two fingers, and keeping my jawbone between them. I’m thinking that I may be moving my head forwards or back depending on the shot when anchoring. I guess I’m used to having a solid place to anchor (knuckle to jawbone).

I usually anchor my knuckles against the back of my jawbone, but you gotta find what's comfortable and works for you
It may be my draw length, string angle, finger length or a combination of the three but knuckles touching my jawbone causes too much face pressure on the string for my liking. I’m hopeful the bowmar nose button with satisfy my brain so I can focus on breaking the shot and continuing my follow through.

Hate to hy-jack this thread but I am considering going to a hand held release and wondering if it change my draw length or peep sight height??

Yah my draw length changed 1" and my peep soght moved a bit, depends on how your new release is constructed though, I've seen some where the neck to the clip for the d-loop is very long and others like mine is fairly short

Back