• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Handclimber opened up on me.

CptFrank

Yesterday when i was climbing down (luckily in the light), i noticed that the one strap lock on my LWHC had opened up and just barely had a hold of the strap that goes around the tree. I tied to gingerly get it to bite in the tree so i could close the latch but of course it fell. My Safety line was attached so i only had about a 20 minute inconvenience to get it reset on the tree & get climbing again. I think my boot caught the latch and opened it up. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Either way i think i'm hanging the HC up for a while and may be in the market for a new climbing method.

That sucks man, but I’m glad you’re alright.
Me too, glad to read the end result is that you were okay.

Someone needs to make a 'hand climber' that is designed for use in this way and is done without the need for any modifications.

Has anyone tried making the base of a tree lounge-type climber?

Rant and post highjack over...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thats the beauty of a hand climber, as long as you have it tethered to you, you are fine. Other methods, you might not be so lucky to get it set in 20minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me in Oct. Completely dark. I went to stand up to advance the tether, and it slowly fell out from under me. No big deal, just haul it back up to where I could work on it and reset as needed. Best guess is I somehow did something to allow a latch to open up. It can happen.

Yesterday when i was climbing down (luckily in the light), i noticed that the one strap lock on my LWHC had opened up and just barely had a hold of the strap that goes around the tree. I tied to gingerly get it to bite in the tree so i could close the latch but of course it fell. My Safety line was attached so i only had about a 20 minute inconvenience to get it reset on the tree & get climbing again. I think my boot caught the latch and opened it up. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Either way i think i'm hanging the HC up for a while and may be in the market for a new climbing method.

This kind of thing is why I switched to a 30’ tether and rappel down( then pull the tether out with a piece of paracord)

I tried using my self climber base one time and at the end of the night I hooked my feet in, disengaged from the tree and descended my rope with no effort and less risk.

Glad you had it tethered, it could have been a sticky situation otherwise. Good planning to assure you didn't lose it altogether.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone and honestly, it happened when i was low enough i could've jumped if need be. I'm just bummed that it soured me on the method. I like the way summit does their cable better, though for what its worth i checked today and the way the foot part of their climbers are designed, the latch is out of the way.

If anyone has a fix for this issue i'd love to hear it but until then i think i'm out on the HC.

Just put small bungees or gear ties on the latches.

Yup same thing happened to me back in the summer but like others have said you're tethered in. I've since changed mine to take a Summit cable, not because of that, I just like the stiffness of the Summit cable better.

Yup same thing happened to me back in the summer but like others have said you're tethered in. I've since changed mine to take a Summit cable, not because of that, I just like the stiffness of the Summit cable better.
Do you mind showing how you got it to take a summit cable?

b1f43b7aaa5e56e9bd2c195062a431ad.jpg

I bought 1” square steel tube with a 1/16 wall thickness at Lowe’s. It was like $13. You need 1/16 wall thickness for inside cable clearance. I copied the Lone Wolf arms except for the holes for the cable. I used 3/8” drill on the center of the width and spaced them 1” apart for better adjustment. I work in a machine shop so it was easy for me.

Back