• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hanging from dental floss/ Locked - unsafe practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

River Hunter

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy is this (10 being a death wish).
7/64 amsteel with a full bury.
Carabiner tied in with a marlinspike hitch (learned this hitch from a guy at saddlepalooza a couple years ago).

I rarely adjust once I'm set up so adjustability isn't really a factor for me. I can always adjust my bridge to fine tune.

The packability of this set up is ridiculous.

Moving up to 1/4" would probably be a "safer" option.

165c31c165363c9ea2467d558db4e0d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reading about the hitch: "not stable until loaded." Makes me think the hitch would be dodgy each time it became untensioned. I'm going with a 6.

Sure you can drive a mini smart car, but do you? No. You drive an F-250 because it's safer and if you hit something you're not going to care that "it was smaller and easier to maneuver".

Now just make it 40 foot and figure out a way to rappel with it....until then I would ask what's the point? On the list of things that are heavy and difficult to pack a normal 8-11 mm tether is at the bottom
I do like my 8mm Tethrd ropes and they are a huge improvement over the 11mm, but I don't like having pouches on my saddle. A tether that fits in my pocket would be even better.
Or if I used this temporarily and switch to use my lineman rope my tether.
Am I solving a problem that doesn't exist? Probably. But it's the off season.

Reading about the hitch: "not stable until loaded." Makes me think the hitch would be dodgy each time it became untensioned. I'm going with a 6.

If this is the case, then I want to change my 4 to a 6.

I do like my 8mm Tethrd ropes and they are a huge improvement over the 11mm, but I don't like having pouches on my saddle. A tether that fits in my pocket would be even better.
Or if I used this temporarily and switch to use my lineman rope my tether.
Am I solving a problem that doesn't exist? Probably. But it's the off season.

Tether that fits in your pocket? How about tubular webbing?

It’s climb rated and pack friendly. I’m using it with one of those rated frame buckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 8mm tether fits in my pocket. I hate pouches on saddles a lot.

Why is your bridge so much bigger than the tether, if you trust the tether?

What's the MBS or ABS of your chosen rope? What's the WLL? How does the hitch perform when subjected to a load while slack? How does the hitch perform when subjected to a load while under tension? At what force does the rope/hitch fail under something like the conditions it's subjected to in hunting situations?

Assigning numbers to our intuitions is something human beings are terrible at. Aggregating a bunch of unqualified opinions will just get you one incredibly unqualified opinions.

When you unload that marlin spike it will get sketchy quick, especially if you forget to tend it when reloading. Then you will possibly start compounding little issues.

Pass.

As long as you're hanging off the framing in the basement/garage with your feet on the ground my assessment would be 2 (after all, it's only a tailbone). Take it to height and it becomes a 8-9. IMO, worse than the rope diameter/strength you're contemplating is the use of a knot that's described as for "temporary" usage and "may become unstable when unloaded" in a life support application.

Furthermore, again IMO, above and beyond that, is the potential that you may be putting someone else into risk who does not know better and thinks this may be a great idea to try after seeing it on a forum of "guys who know what they're doing". I get the fact that climbing trees is a risk/reward tradeoff and we all have different levels of how much risk we're willing to accept to climb the tree but some things may be better left unshared.

Last edited:
What
Sure you can drive a mini smart car, but do you? No. You drive an F-250 because it's safer and if you hit something you're not going to care that "it was smaller and easier to maneuver".
if he drives a Mini Cooper :smirk: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back