• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harken Cam Cleat Question

paxamus

I have a Harken 150 Cam Cleat on my one stick right now and just got a Shikar one stick off of the classifieds and will be putting that Harken on it, question is: I have been using Sterling HTP 9mm for my rope, but would like something lighter/smaller- should I go with Oplux or another one of the ropes from DanO?

DanO also has 6mm TRC. I'm running that with my Harken 150..so far I really like it. Haven't used it for a full season so cant speak to long term durability but I dont think it will be an issue.

Amsteel would have been my second option like @Squirrels had mentioned but I already needed TRC to make a few prussics.
b4864065904247c1effbfbc5aff312ff.jpg

Searched the forum for more information on this idea, but coming up empty. Did you make these yourself? Got any pics?

Or are you referring to this:
7/64” Amsteel Daisy Chains

Yes I made them myself, no they are not daisy chains. I can send you a pic later. If you look on you tube on how to do a locked brummel you will better understand. Only difference with a a full bury is exactly as it sounds, the bury is the full length of the outter piece. Full bury is a must in this application for the sizes I mentioned to make it work properly and hold. I recommend 1/8" Amsteel.

Where are you guys getting the Harken 150 Cam Cleat? Are they the best ones to buy for this type of stick hook up? I’m assuming you can retro fit most any stick with the clear?

Have any luck getting the cam cleat on the Shikar? Doesn’t seem very harken-friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any luck getting the cam cleat on the Shikar? Doesn’t seem very harken-friendly

I’m VERY interested in this!

I'm running 6mm Samson accessory cord. I've been using the same piece for two years on my cut off Hawk with the cam cleat and it shows no wear whatsoever. Oh and the price is right, $0.32 per foot at Wesspur.

I was using a 3/16 amsteel and it held everytime but it flattened in the jaws..
I swapped it for accessory cord I had left over. It will hold but I really don't think you can go much smaller.

I was using a 3/16 amsteel and it held everytime but it flattened in the jaws..
I swapped it for accessory cord I had left over. It will hold but I really don't think you can go much smaller.
You can go much smaller with Amsteel. I use 7/64 but the key is to bury the tail the full length of the rope. That creates a core and eliminates the "flattening".

You can go much smaller with Amsteel. I use 7/64 but the key is to bury the tail the full length of the rope. That creates a core and eliminates the "flattening".

I have done the same. It was squirrels idea I just stole it.

I have a Harken 150 Cam Cleat on my one stick right now and just got a Shikar one stick off of the classifieds and will be putting that Harken on it, question is: I have been using Sterling HTP 9mm for my rope, but would like something lighter/smaller- should I go with Oplux or another one of the ropes from DanO?

Hey have you done this yet?

I have a shikar mini and miss the cam cleat from my muddy pro. To go along with [mention]onestringer [/mention] philosophy of 3 keys to one sticking the cam cleat is what I’m missing for my trifecta!

I ended up selling the shikar and getting a solo scout step for the top of my one stick instead

Ok, where on earth can one get grade 8 #10-32 x2 1/2” socket bolts? Went to two freaking hardware stores and nada!! Zilch!!! NOTHING!!!!

Link would be helpful. Thanks

Ok, where on earth can one get grade 8 #10-32 x2 1/2” socket bolts? Went to two freaking hardware stores and nada!! Zilch!!! NOTHING!!!!

Link would be helpful. Thanks

I might be the odd man out but I think grade 8 in this application might be a little overkill. There's 2 machine screws/bolts holding the cleat, not to mention there are probably other areas that will fail before those machine screws/bolts will. I actually over tightened one of the screws and broke the top red race that holds the bearings in, I think you'd be looking at a pretty bad day if that completely broke and all the bearings fell out. I bought a rebuild kit to replace the race but there's a lesson learned on my part. Those cleats are used in marine environments so I'd assume a stainless machine screw / bolt is what is normally used and you should be able to find those in the size mentioned at a hardware store. Here's a link but I don't think you need 50..https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/fasteners-connectors/screws/machine-screws/midwest-fastener-reg-10-32-x-2-1-2-phillips-drive-plain-flat-head-machine-screw-50-count/50694/p-1444439870250-c-8933.htm

Last edited:
DanO also has 6mm TRC. I'm running that with my Harken 150..so far I really like it. Haven't used it for a full season so cant speak to long term durability but I dont think it will be an issue.

Amsteel would have been my second option like @Squirrels had mentioned but I already needed TRC to make a few prussics.
b4864065904247c1effbfbc5aff312ff.jpg
How are to attaching the fixed end of the rope to the stick?

How are to attaching the fixed end of the rope to the stick?
You can drill a hole then make your knot and feed your rope down through the stick so the knot is internal or drill a hole through both sides and have it knotted or girth hitch it around the stick and cleat, etc. I think there are several methods but not sure which one is the safest. Obviously drilling any holes is going to weaken it a little but not sure if it would be enough to make a difference.

Back