• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Has anyone impressed people with wild game?

I wouldn't really call it a kosher thing to do. I got a stern talking to once.

My now wife, this was probably 8 or 9 years ago, my grandma fed her squirrel pot pie about the third time I brought her home. It was nothing nefarious on my grandma's part, just that squirrel pot pie was my grandmas favorite cooking and I requested it.

I didn't lie and tell her it was chicken, but I didn't tell her it was squirrel. It didn't take her too long to figure out it was something she hadn't eaten before. She didn't raise a scene in front of my family but I got a good verbal licking in the car on the way home.

Absolutely not.

I love wild game, but if somebody doesn't want to eat it that is their call. I encourage people to try venison, wild hog, wood duck, squirrel, and lots of other stuff, but I am always up front with it. My family hardly ever buys ground beef for burgers, chilli, etc., but I will do so for guests in a heartbeat if they seem less than enthused about venison.

I would be livid if somebody tricked me into ingesting anything I didn't want.

Yup good call,

I think the best approach is to whip up a cool meal and show people how interested you are about cooking. The show meat eater has given me alot of good ideas.

My dad had a good approach once...he said guess which one is grouse and guess which one is chicken. So I knew I was about to eat something out of the norm but not what bite. That opened my eyes to eating stuff that doesn't necessarily come from a grocery store

I'm an adventurous eater, and will literally eat anything once. Tongue, chitlins, eyes, eggs, whatever. Some of the less-appealing in theory stuff is surprisingly tasty. Heck, crawfish is nasty if you think about it too much. Oysters look disgusting.

My wife won't eat shrimp unless it's popcorn fried though, so I understand the picky eaters.

If you’re going to eat at my house I don’t feel the need to explain what’s being served. I won’t lie, but I’m also not going to cater to someone that came over to eat. Knowing what my family typically eats. What’s served is what’s served. You’re choice to eat it.

Why would you ever want to?
I should have titled it differently. Instead of have you tricked. I turned it into have you impressed people.

I know people (rightfully so) have reasons as to why they dont want to experiment and that's 100% understandable but I feel like some people miss out on some good stuff!

I had a buddy try a merganser this past year. We eat coot and rail all the time, but he said the merganser was pretty fishy, and not in a good way.
yeah, it can literally taste like you're eating fish, and not the yummy kind. I used to eat it when I Was single...no more...

I"d soak it in milk for a few days, then make an orange sauce and pan sear it. IF all else failed, I'd douse it in Tobasco and eat it wiht bourbon...

My dad did it to my nieces all the time, good ole Shoal creek chicken (fish), It was so good when he called it that othertwise they wouldn't touch it

Subject asks one question.
Post asks another.

So much confusion.

Of course I've impressed people with delicious food. It's a big part of what I do.

Has nothing to do with trickery of any sort.

Subject asks one question.
Post asks another.

So much confusion.

Of course I've impressed people with delicious food. It's a big part of what I do.

Has nothing to do with trickery of any sort.
The OP changed the subject of the post. See post #12.

Most people that know me know to ask what they are eating. I’m not going to bust out with coon/possum/squirrel. No organ meat either. If you are eating at my house unless I’m feeding you steak fish or chicken it’s going to be something I shot. I cook as much or more than my wife and for the first 14 years she was looking in the trash can for meat wrappers every time I cooked. The last two she has started eating it and this spring she let me know I didn’t kill enough deer last year. If someone asks about my sausage it is free range organic pork.

The OP changed the subject of the post. See post #12.
Just noticed that. I serve food to people that will appreciate it, and I put substantial effort into preparing it the best I know how. When I get comments like "I can't even tell this is venison" - to be honest I feel like that disrespects the deer and its flavor.

Just noticed that. I serve food to people that will appreciate it, and I put substantial effort into preparing it the best I know how. When I get comments like "I can't even tell this is venison" - to be honest I feel like that disrespects the deer and its flavor.
My in-laws say this to me everytime I make a venison dish for them. Even simple backstraps!

I know it is just their way of dealing with their anxiety about it and trying to make me happy, so I don't argue with them. I'm not really mad, as much as I disagree and think that it tastes so much better than beef.

I like hunting for lots of reasons but I'm not sure I would like it half as much if venison tasted just like beef. There is something about that so-called gamey flavor that I just can't get enough of. I went to an annual game supper as a kid with my dad (long before I was afflicted with AOH) so maybe it is a nostalgia thing for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I"m with everyone else. The question is has anyone ever tried to pass off Merganser as a red Fish? :eek:

....cause thats what it tastes like!
I ate a Merganser once that my kid shot cause I felt bad if it got wasted. I did the milk soak and grilled it and thought it wasn't bad. I am no duck connoisseur but it wasn't all that different than the other ducks.

Worst duck I ever ate was a Redhead down in South Padre Island TX. You talk about fishy! Yuk! Might have just been an anomaly.

I ate a Merganser once that my kid shot cause I felt bad if it got wasted. I did the milk soak and grilled it and thought it wasn't bad. I am no duck connoisseur but it wasn't all that different than the other ducks.

Worst duck I ever ate was a Redhead down in South Padre Island TX. You talk about fishy! Yuk! Might have just been an anomaly.

yeah, I think it can be the time of year and totally depended on what they're eating how "fishy" they taste. The worst tasting one I had I actually took note of when I shot it because we were hunting and the water froze around us...the ducks were hitting solid ice when they fell. It was laughable, freezing, and a PITA to have to break the ice with a paddle as we moved forward to get the boat out....

Back