• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Has anyone tried to use the Summit Safety Vest like a saddle?

Next year I am definitely going to begin the saddle hunting method. For this year, I've only purchased a few items to set myself for next year. Haven't purchased the saddle yet. I'm curious if I use the Summit Safety Vest "LIKE" a saddle. I'll call it saddle(ish). Large trees with branches can be used for standing platforms, etc. Any experience with this? Please let me know! Thanks!

I am guessing nobody responded because nobody has tried it. I am not sure which Summit harness you are referring to but, I don't think any of them would be comfortable enough to actually sit in. I also assume the safety strap is on the back, so you would have to use the linesman's loops to attach a bridge but, like I said I don't think you could sit in it for more than a few minutes.

Why not? But what are you going to sit on? One of my favorite set ups I had a stock harness from a ladder stand that had lineman loops in it and sat in a sitdrag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several trees that allow me to use large branches as my platform. Also, I can use small platforms from $25-$40 hang ons.. Nothing wrong with a little hang-on, right?

I understand that, but where are you going to sit? The platform is what you stand on. Are you planning on standing the whole time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a full body harness as my backup but put a fleece drag over that for comfort. The fleece was about $5 from Walmart and the bridge was about $8 worth of amsteel. I switch to a regular rock climbing harness because their shoulder straps drove me absolutely nuts.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Don't need to sit, really just something to take the pressure off my legs for a few minutes at a time. I'm used to standing for 1-2 hours without moving (but it is exhausting now that I'm getting older). Next year, I'll have a saddle, but caught on to this a little too late for this year. Just thought if someone had some adaptation of a regular summit safety harness that I could try it this year. No biggie. I can't wait to start practicing in the Spring and get several spots set up next year. This seems like it will add a lot of flexibility and mobility to my game.

I've been thinking the same thing but I've got a Kestrel coming. I was thinking of adding some webbing from the linemans strap under my butt to kinda cradle it. otherwise you will have the lineman belt pushing on your kidneys all the time. If that makes sense?

Back