• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hauling climbing sticks up the tree.

Basophobia94

Hey, I am new to forums so bear with me if I am not doing it right. I started saddle hunting last year in Nebraska, what a rush. I used screw in steps and found that to be a pain to use every time. I recently bought Hawk Helium20" from camofire...tested them out and had no problem with the cam buckle letting loose-as mentioned on another thread. But I am curious for some opinions for the "best" way to haul them up on your saddle to make them easily accessible to hang? Thanks.

Welcome to the site.

Lot of different options have been discussed here in the past - there’s no single best way, just what each person prefers. Some guys use a loop of paracord on the top of the stick that they hook into the belt of their saddle, some use a sling, some pull up one at a time on their pull up rope. I’m sure there are other solutions that I’m forgetting. I, personally, tie big loops through the molle loops on my saddle using weed wacker line because it is stiff and stays open - then hang the sticks from the loops. One on my right hip, one on my left.

Here is what I do:

I attached two bungee loops to my saddle on each hip (near the lineman's loops). I used the loops that come with bungee balls and just cut off the ball. I like bungee loops b/c it holds the stick tight to you as compared to just using paracord or something.

1. I take all 4 sticks off however I carried them out and lay them on the ground next to the tree
2. I put stick #1 on the tree from ground.
3. I climb onto stick #1 (no lineman's belt, no tether with the stick #2 in my hand). I attach stick #2.
4. I climb down.
5. I put stick #3 and #4 on my bungee loops, put on lineman's belt and around tree,, attach my bow and pack to my pull up rope, and start to climb.
6. When I get on stick #2, I put on stick #3.
7. Climb on stick #3 and put up stick # 4.
8. Climb on stick #4, put on ROS or platform.
9. Climb on platform or ROS , hook up tether, pull up pack and bow, hunt

@kyler1945 and myself both slapped ourselves when we watched @denots climb with his hawkes for the first time. He set his first one and then just reached up (was using an aider) and laid the other 2 nestled together on the top standoff. Climbed up, set the 2nd one, laid the 3rd on top of that one, climbed up...you get the idea.

I do that with my LWCG sticks now and infinitely prefer it to hanging a stick off of my saddle to dangle and tangle.

@kyler1945 and myself both slapped ourselves when we watched @denots climb with his hawkes for the first time. He set his first one and then just reached up (was using an aider) and laid the other 2 nestled together on the top standoff. Climbed up, set the 2nd one, laid the 3rd on top of that one, climbed up...you get the idea.

I do that with my LWCG sticks now and infinitely prefer it to hanging a stick off of my saddle to dangle and tangle.
That's interesting. With my 24" sticks, I set my next stick from the top of the lower one. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the 20" sticks since they will be closer together but this concept might work great....

It's pretty simple. Like nutterbuster said - you set your first stick or two sticks. You take remaining sticks, and rest them on the top standoff of the highest stick you've hung. Climb up to the height necessary to hand remaining sticks.

The only detail to be added, is to set the stick you intend to set the others on top of, properly. Grab that bottom step and pull down and get rope or strap tight. That way that stick doesn't move when you stand on it, causing them to fall off. But really, it's simple. I use one stick most of the time, but if I did more than one, I set them up just like this.

Here is what I do:

I attached two bungee loops to my saddle on each hip (near the lineman's loops). I used the loops that come with bungee balls and just cut off the ball. I like bungee loops b/c it holds the stick tight to you as compared to just using paracord or something.

1. I take all 4 sticks off however I carried them out and lay them on the ground next to the tree
3. I climb onto stick #1 (no lineman's belt, no tether with the stick #2 in my hand). I attach stick #2.
4. I climb down.
5. I put stick #3 and #4 on my bungee loops, put on lineman's belt and around tree,, attach my bow and pack to my pull up rope, and start to climb.

My process exactly, except, step 9, I hook up tether before I step into my platform. Set it up while standing on top step of top stick.

I use the 30 inch heliums with amsteel daisy chains, which I think is the first upgrade you should make to your sticks. When I get to the tree, I hang the first stick and then rest My second stick on the top standoff sideways. The daisy chain for the third stick is unwound and i hook the end of the chain on the top step of my first stick. From the first stick I can hang the second and then pull the third up by the chain. My platform stays on my pack the whole time which stays on my back, and I carry my sticks in using my linesman’s belt as a sling.

Like a lot of folks, I climb with one or two sticks hitched to my side. If I were to set it up on top of the standoff of the stick I just set then there would be a 95% chance I would knock it off before getting up to it.... Just ham fisted I guess.
I normally keep either a loop of 550/paracord on each side of my saddle, or a nite ize twist tie on each side. I hook or loop a standoff to each side and head up the tree. I never use more than three sticks and one aider and the system works fine for my taste.

I find it easier to use the twist tie things than 550 cord. Just my preference.

I’ve been using the paracord loop climbing with three cut down line wolfs but this sounds way better ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site.

Lot of different options have been discussed here in the past - there’s no single best way, just what each person prefers. Some guys use a loop of paracord on the top of the stick that they hook into the belt of their saddle, some use a sling, some pull up one at a time on their pull up rope. I’m sure there are other solutions that I’m forgetting. I, personally, tie big loops through the molle loops on my saddle using weed wacker line because it is stiff and stays open - then hang the sticks from the loops. One on my right hip, one on my left.

Drew, this is the same way I do too. Found it to work best for me. But I’m just using paracord. What is the weed whacked line you’re talking? Like weed eater string?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After going through a bunch of different expensive sticks I keep going back to the regular Lone Wolf sticks. Here is a video of in my opinion the best way to get the sticks up the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have 4 sticks that are attached by amsteel daisies. I have 3 1.5" carabiners with wire gates attached to the molle on my saddle with the gate pointed down and away from the saddle. I take the closest loop to the button and hook each stick to their own carabiner. There is just enough room between each stick that they don't hit. To get them off I put my pointer finger through the loop that is in the carabiner and push the gate open with my thumb. I should also mention that the first 2' of my daisies are 6" loops before they transition into 2" loops. I figure if the tree is less than 2' in circumference I shouldn't be climbing it anyway.

Here is what I do:

4. I climb down.

As an additional safety step, I set the tether from the top stick and connect it into the bridge before transitioning on to the platform (while still having the linesman connected around the tree). This way, if the platform strap would happen to fail during your transition from the stick, your tether is there to provide extra fall protection.

Then on the climb down, while still tethered in, connect your linesman belt around the tree, step off the platform while still tethered in, remove the platform, disconnect from the tether and climb down.

Back