• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Having my doubts about exclusive SRT hunting.

Rg176bnc

Went to the woods today just to practice this. Was probably my 6th thru 10th tries. Its certainly easier than the first go round, but heres some concerns Im having.

1: If you have a straight tree your screwed from what I can tell.
2: If you have to toss that bag a legitimate 30feet into the tree theres going to be some serious jerking around with this. I cant help but feel your going to end up hunting trees instead of deer. Im a firm believer that the worst tree in the best spot is better than the best tree in even an ok spot.
3: Im not sure it will ever be quicker than sticks.

Id really like to know how many guys are using this method exclusively, I just cant believe its very many. Then on the flip side if you do try to incorporate other methods your opening yourself up to forgetting something and being worse off than you were to start with.

Never tried it, sure seems like a PITA to me. The concerns you experienced is the exact kind of thoughts I had that kept me from bothering with it.

Sticks, platform, and some pruners and hunt where you want/need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you on a straight tree. I have had issue getting my girth hitch snugged up tight. I initially thought it was going to be my main method of entry but, like you, am starting to question this. For the right tree, I really like it though. I have thought about trying the one stick method and then repelling down after the hunt.

I will NOT be using SRT unless it's a preset. Messing around with a throw line when I'm wanting to hunt is not something I'm going to fight.

Will definitely be trying out all options.

I will be using the SRT along with the one stick method. I'll take both to the woods and use my one stick with the SRT rope so that I can repel down when done.

I'm currently trying Srt and plan on making some presets for it but also have 4 full climbing sticks, a cut down stick with aider and a lone wolf hand climber on the way. I'll figure out a way to get up the tree I want to be in. I think everything has a time and place really.

It's an ok option for presets. It's a neat way to climb a tree. It is not the best option for most hunters unless you are just trying to do something novel and different for the sake of being novel and different.

I’m only interested in SRT for those places where I want to hunt where there are no options but to use a tree that is difficult to get into. For example, a huge oak tree in the middle of a field of standing corn.

I can agree with you on the tree part.... it does take a tree with at least some branches to SRT. However I wouldn't saddle hunt from a tree with no branches anyway.....
The throw line is definitely hard to get used to......
I was struggling until I went to you tube and watched many videos on some different techniques...find what works for you.
I have to say that pre-sets are the way to go, but I often find even using sticks my setup changes slightly and then I want a different tree anyway.
Personally I have climbed before and never even thought about using rope to climb a tree for hunting.
Only when I started saddle hunting did this even make sense because I'm already wearing a climbing harness of sorts.
In my opinion there are only three advantages to SRT, weight savings, easier to carry than sticks, and repelling down after the hunt, which like you said you can do after single stick climbing.
There are some serious disadvantages.......safety being the biggest....I have seen some really stupid stuff being done online and choose to bite my lip for lack of something nice to say.....

Read the instructions on the devices you choose.... and seek out a pro climber if in doubt about what to use....

Real Tree/Rock/Ice Climbers use safe methods of back up and know when and why to use them!
Learn how to get up/down if a component of your RAD system fails or you drop a device....
Look into FootLocking and how to repel with a Munter Hitch on a carabiner before you even try SRT...please!
These should be the first two lessons of climbing before you even leave the ground....!

I’ve finally got everything to get my system going. I don’t see it ever being my go to system but it should be fun and work well for some of the really big trees I’ve always wanted to hunt but avoided.

Yup. Let us know how it goes. Maybe a movie!

I wouldnt use SRT as my run and gun setup, but for presets I think it would work pretty good. If Im going to an area with just striaght limbless trees, or I know I'm gunna set up in a tree like that I'd just use the lone wolf hand climber method. I dont know if there is a perfect, public land legal way to climb every tree out there. If only red bull actually gave ya wings.....

This is the year of safety. Don't bite your lip. If you see something, say something.
I gotta say we do pretty good on this site at helping others even if it hurts sometimes....I'm only talking about when researching SRT online (to learn as much as possible about it) I've seen some scary stuff.....not on SaddleHunter!

Last edited:
Went to the woods today just to practice this. Was probably my 6th thru 10th tries. Its certainly easier than the first go round, but heres some concerns Im having.

1: If you have a straight tree your screwed from what I can tell.
2: If you have to toss that bag a legitimate 30feet into the tree theres going to be some serious jerking around with this. I cant help but feel your going to end up hunting trees instead of deer. Im a firm believer that the worst tree in the best spot is better than the best tree in even an ok spot.
3: Im not sure it will ever be quicker than sticks.

Id really like to know how many guys are using this method exclusively, I just cant believe its very many. Then on the flip side if you do try to incorporate other methods your opening yourself up to forgetting something and being worse off than you were to start with.
I use that method but not exclusively, Practice makes perfect and once you get good at tossing a throw bag it's all water under the bridge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Would love to hear it!

Indy-pubwhip.jpg

Theres a guy on youtube that uses an extendable pole instead of throwing a bag. Roedeerhunt or something close to that. I think if you started girth hitched at the bottom to the tree and had a decent amount of electrical tape on the first 3-4ft of rope down from the loop it would keep the rope from snagging on rough barked trees enough to get it up to the height your after. I don't think you would have to cover the whole rope to help yourself out enough to keep it from snagging.

Another idea I had was a rollor on the end of the pole and put the rope thru the girth hitch as you go up but I cant quite get that to work in my head.

Agree to disagree, SRT is light enough you can carry it all of the time, but you need a second climbing method, I use a hand climber combined with SRT and I can climb anything I run into, if I like it I leave a preset rope and SRT the next time. Also if it doesn't have any branches use ur other climbing method, and when you xlimb it once woth your other method leave an anchor. My total system was like 16 lbs, thats nothing, I don't understand why no one else does this, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back