• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium climbing stick mods?

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Hey all,

The answer to my question is probably posted on here somewhere but I was unable to find what I was looking for.

So, I’d like to chop down my hawk Helium climbing sticks for more packability but I don’t want to cut them too short nor too long. I plan to rig them with climbing aiders as well.

My question is.....for anyone who stands around 5’8”, what length do you cut your hawk Helium climbing sticks down to for climbing comfortably? And how many steps in your aiders do you put(3 step, five step?)?

I want to be able to climb them with bulky clothing in the late season as well as while wearing lighter clothing in the early season.

Thanks all

DATM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22" step to step, 24" overall seems to work for most guys who climb with multiple sticks. If your wanting to go the aider route, you should look into the knaiders and swaiders made by @JCLINE84. They are really easy to use with sticks and you dont have to worry about dropping them.

I stand at 5’8 on good days and I cut mine to 24” total and step to step at 22”. I run one movable aider that when hung from the top of the stick hangs about 22” below the bottom step. Works great

22" step to step, 24" overall seems to work for most guys who climb with multiple sticks. If your wanting to go the aider route, you should look into the knaiders and swaiders made by @JCLINE84. They are really easy to use with sticks and you dont have to worry about dropping them.

What are you hooking into? Are you connecting to the steps directly or to Amsteel loops like @g2outdoors ?

What are you hooking into? Are you connecting to the steps directly or to Amsteel loops like @g2outdoors ?

put swaider carabiner over bottom left step, stand in the swaider then put knaider hook over bottom right step. Stand in the knaider, move the swaider carabiner to top left step, step onto the stick steps. Repeat

Thanks all. I’m going to give it a whirl. Hopefully I won’t ruin a climbing stick

The drilling part is more critical on the hawk sticks vs other designs. Be careful of where you drill those step holes. If using a hand drill I might would drill the step holes before cutting down.

The drilling part is more critical on the hawk sticks vs other designs. Be careful of where you drill those step holes. If using a hand drill I might would drill the step holes before cutting down.

Thanks man. Yeah I plan to get the steps in place before I decide to cut

I just got some 1/4in amsteel blue and I am looking to make a rope mod for my LW sticks, how long does the bury need to be? I have seen mix results with some saying 6in and some 12in.! Do you have to let the amsteel stretch out before using?

I just got some 1/4in amsteel blue and I am looking to make a rope mod for my LW sticks, how long does the bury need to be? I have seen mix results with some saying 6in and some 12in.! Do you have to let the amsteel stretch out before using?

I didn’t do any stretching with my Amsteel blue. And if it stretches I wouldn’t be too concerned as you will be wrapping it around another tree and pulling it tighter as needed.
As far as length goes, I’d go longer. If it’s too long then oh well. It’s not like the weight of the extra rope will matter since Amsteel is super light. I like mine being longer so I never have to worry about not having enough in case you want to hunt a larger diameter tree.

Just my two cents

802a9933a38852fb49ec8d7d62199430.jpg
7658fe9453ae4b6333fa01078964b31a.jpg
df1d415f644e2c22d682d180331a3b07.jpg
33b68273465e195af2afda36132562f3.jpg

Don’t mind the mess. Been working on some stuff

I didn’t do any stretching with my Amsteel blue. And if it stretches I wouldn’t be too concerned as you will be wrapping it around another tree and pulling it tighter as needed.
As far as length goes, I’d go longer. If it’s too long then oh well. It’s not like the weight of the extra rope will matter since Amsteel is super light. I like mine being longer so I never have to worry about not having enough in case you want to hunt a larger diameter tree.

Just my two cents

I ended up making the rope 7' long! How long did you make your amsteel mods?

I ended up making the rope 7' long! How long did you make your amsteel mods?

I’m guessing around 8’ but not sure. I know that I have way more than what I typically need but if I ever come across a tree that is in the perfect spot I def won’t have to worry about my ropes being too short to hunt it

My aiders will be built about 60” long and divided into 3 steps (20” steps)

I may add a couple inches and go 22” steps & 66” overall length if I find I can hang the sticks high enough

Last edited:
My aiders will be built about 60” long and divided into 3 steps (20” steps)

3 steps is about what I’m comfortable with. Any more and I feel like I’m going to swing from side to side on the tree which I would’ve been cool with at a younger age(the older I get the less I feel like Tarzan)

So, pretty new to all this. The only over the counterstrike I can buy are muddy aero's or LW. Question(s)

A. Buy one of those? Like the double step but aero's aren't very modible
B. Hold out as the new season of this sort of thing is gotta be close to hitting the shelves
C. Build a couple from folks on here that sell such things..

What's a boy to do?

So, pretty new to all this. The only over the counterstrike I can buy are muddy aero's or LW. Question(s)

A. Buy one of those? Like the double step but aero's aren't very modible
B. Hold out as the new season of this sort of thing is gotta be close to hitting the shelves
C. Build a couple from folks on here that sell such things..

What's a boy to do?

I’d go with option C but hey that’s just me

Back