• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium concerns?

67elmustang

SH Member
Just watched a video from Dixieland bowhunter on
Modified sticks posted 2 weeks ago.
He’s seems to be correct on drilling holes within 1/8” from slot for the bottom step.
He’s suggesting cutting down to 22.5” instead of
22”.

??
Has anyone had failure on bottom steps due to drilling holes to close to slot.

Besides the weight saving and length what is the major reason people are doing this? I just bought a set and I think I will leave them be at least for a while

I cut mine long before the video and without even considering the strength factor. Haven't had any problems so far, but haven't used them too much (practice hangs only). That having been said, I would certainly heed the advice of those that took the strength into consideration. Don't think the half inch will make any difference. I will be checking every time I climb with them, if I don't just stop using them all together.

This is why I havent cut mine and dont really plan to the last few years. 3 heliums carry like a dream with the right pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut mine from the top for this reason.
If you cut from the top, the top holes for the steps are in the between slots on the rail. Cutting front the bottom would put you real close to the slot.

I don't cut mine because I like them how they are. If you want a short stick buy the stacked outdoors stick they sell them individually and they are really nice.

Besides the weight saving and length what is the major reason people are doing this? I just bought a set and I think I will leave them be at least for a while

Optimization. A lot of folks are going to be able to step higher than the 13”-18” spacing that sticks come in. So there is wasted space. But yes it comes down to weight, length and packing.

That said, I am also keeping my Heliums uncut for a bit and see what I like and don’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back