• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium middle step removal

Gator

SH Member
I was going to cut down my sticks but now that’s on hold as it’s a lot of extra work so first I just removed the middle steps.

This isn’t the greatest scale but it’s what I had. Out of box with strap attached.

abe8c0b419d64e5926c04c4afb9ac3db.jpg

Without strap
e0eaea7ec445653669093f162621b257.jpg

With middle step removed.
6fd23384bf11df6681d5253169e36054.jpg

All three sticks with middle step removed
1cae5b48fe64928b7b045c8d3bd78efb.jpg

Currently 27” between steps which I did in flip flops but it might be iffy in heavy clothes. Going to try it a few more times before I invest time to move step and cut post down (don’t think it’s going to give me much weight wise, only make that step distance a little more comfortable)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the minor weight different, it does make the stepping distance easier with heavy gear on. Also, packability is better with cut down sticks.

27 inches is a hell of a step up. If it works for you, go for it. I'm 5 11" and 22 inches is about max for me....

Instead of removing both middle steps, try removing one of the bottom and one on the opposite side in the middle. Same weight loss, much easier to climb.

I’m on the taller side but with shortish legs. 6’-2”.
I struggle with the 22” beast step with heavy cloths and big boots.

I’m on the taller side but with shortish legs. 6’-2”.
I struggle with the 22” beast step with heavy cloths and big boots.
I'm also 6'2". I'll probably end up cutting them down some 24" most likely. Figured it was worth a shot to leave them as is for a bit to see if it's doable. To cut them down requires drilling and moving the suction cup, the other side of the suction cup, plus both steps as well as the stand off bracket.

I’d leave them full length and just take off one bottom and one middle step. They’re super nice to climb with the spacing between steps but double steps on anything but the top is a waste of weight.

First stick with the wrap method with amsteel
ccdd3efe1ce08d7136881f5aca600622.jpg

bd9aa146997c5135c15b3ebdab7551d4.jpg

Jumped and bounced on it and it held great. Smoother tree might be a different story

Be careful using Amsteel with the wrap method. Amsteel tends to be more slippery and isn’t great for knots like a half hitch and that wrap can come undone.

Back