• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium Sticks: How to carry in and up?

LiverEatingJoe

Been setting up my HH sticks on different trees and climing and i really like them!

How do you guys carry them in with you? Strapped together hanging from something?

Also, how do you keep the other two sticks with you as you climb up so you don't need to make return trips, redo linemans belt, etc?

I put a little loop of Para cord on mine and on my web I have another loop of cord with a small s biner on each side. I put the first on the tree and then attach one on each side of my saddle. As far as toting around, I have one stick that has a bigger loop of cord that I hang off the fork of the web and they are all stacked together. Quiet and simplest way I have found

Hanging them off your saddle us a pretty standard approach. But it comes down to personal preference

I have a gear loop on each side of mine but many have a MOLLE row. You put a carabiner or s-biner from Nite-ize in there and clip the para cord loop on your stick onto that. It may take some figuring depending on how far you want to twist to get them. I believe some one on here mentioned running either top step or stand off through their linemans loops as well. This certainly keeps them in an easier to access place.

I do 2 different things since I have a 3 step aider now on my first stick.

I used to put the first stick on, attach 1 with paracord and a clip to my saddle, then with my last 2, I would simply tie them to my kestrel where the bridge connects. I'd pull the sticks up my hand. This made ZERO noise. My platform is also attached to my saddle so it makes way more noise having all the sticks attached to me. I'd pull the 2 up my hand and then the last stick I would attached is the one that was clipped to my saddle.

Now with the aider, I attached the first stick. Climb and attach the second step. Climb back down. Then attach my sticks and platform and climb again. I don't mind climbing down to cool off and change my socks/clothes. Its quiet and my set up time is going down.

I went to Heliums this year, too, and like them much better than my old LW sticks. I have added DIY versa buttons and Amsteel whoopie slings replacing the factory straps. Also added pieces of bicycle innertube to each of the legs to minimize noise while sticks are nested for transport. To transport, I nest them together, install the bungies, and then use a 2" web belt with a loop on each end to form a shoulder strap. First stick gets installed from the ground and use the legs on the other two sticks to hang on each side using the Kestrel tether loops. Works well with no hooks or additional cords. Using tow ropes for XOP platform and bow - one trip up the tree.

I use my back band as a shoulder strap to carry my sticks stacked together with 2 pieces of 1” webbing with clips then hook to back band
Would you happen to have a picture of this? I have been looking for a way to carry mine in other than on a pack.

Slogan outdoors rubber bow sling.

It carries a bow, or set of steps nicely.

You can split the sling over your head like backpack straps also.

I use my 3 step cmi aider on my bottom stick...when I pack them up I just loop the other end of the aider over the opposite end of the stick..makes a good should strap for carrying

I’ll also add I’ve had a hard time going to a backpack and strapping my sticks and platform to it
I’m not used to having a full pack just a small waist pack so I’m going to give a couple of these ideas a try

I use my back band as a shoulder strap to carry my sticks stacked together with 2 pieces of 1” webbing with clips then hook to back band

Funny, as I was reading down this thread I had this brilliant and original idea that using a backband for a shoulder sling would work well. Then I was humbled by your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to strap them to my pack for my hike in, the difficult part was climbing with them. I need to try to get the Nite Ize and see if I can hang them off my Mantis with out it pulling it down around my butt.

As far as carrying them goes, if you do the versa-button mod then you can drill a small hole in the sticks to allow the screw head of the button to 'nest' inside the stick above it. Using this method you can get 4 sticks packed tightly and just secure them with the bungee that came with them. I have used this for years with my M7 and they stay tight and make zero noise. I am new to saddle hunting, but my plan is to just carry them up like I did with my M7: hang first two sticks, go back down, attach last two to my harness via small biner, then put stand on my back and head up.

I use an over the shoulder strap from my surfboard bag, but you could get one from strap works. I attach the strap with a paracord loop at the top and bottom of my last stick. The bungee that comes with them holds them together well. the strap works fine going up the tree. I have an Ernie platform that I attach to my saddle via my Molle clip. Once I leave the ground I do not climb back down. I have my bow rope attached to the other Molle clip on my kestrel. it takes me about ten minutes to get completely setup. I use 4 Heliums
This is how I carry them in...
https://postimg.cc/TpvnDKFs

Last edited:
I use an xop post and seat for my platform. I have shoulder straps on the seat. The batwing brackets give me a place to bungee down the sticks. My shoulder straps are shortened due to small seat. This gives each strap a tail. I insert an S biner on end of each tail. I hang my first stick, then clip sticks 2 and 3 on the tails. This puts them in a position that keeps them from clanking on anything. Works amazingly well. I even strap clothes to the platform instead of wearing them on way in. They key to its versatility is the full length xop post. Its added weight is offset by how well it makes carrying sticks and its rock solid on the tree.

Back