• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk helium sticks

I love mine. Especially since I have done the cam cleat mod, and had them camo dipped. Can't even see them on the tree. I also have the Hawk razors when they were a three step but the heliums are the best out there in my opinion. Tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Put versa buttons on mine. I don't like their strap system, but with the versa buttons they are the best stick I've used.

I like mine but don't have experience with any of the other top sticks. Also did rope mod on mine as well as converting them to a 2 step stick....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love mine. Especially since I have done the cam cleat mod, and had them camo dipped. Can't even see them on the tree. I also have the Hawk razors when they were a three step but the heliums are the best out there in my opinion. Tough to beat.

Cam cleat, like, Muddy Pro? Have any pics? How much did it increase the weight? How do you pack/stack them now?

I put Versa buttons on mine and am less than happy with the rope mod. My rope (amsteel blue 1/4") will slip, especially if there is any pressure that is not directly straight (side pressure or pressure away from tree). I even tried muddy rope, and it will slip, but not as bad as amsteel.

I have been thinking about going back to original attachment system or using lone wolf straps with Versa buttons. I do use muddy pros with cam cleat, and I really like that system.

Thanks!

Do you have pics and links to the cam cleats you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam cleat, like, Muddy Pro? Have any pics? How much did it increase the weight? How do you pack/stack them now?

I put Versa buttons on mine and am less than happy with the rope mod. My rope (amsteel blue 1/4") will slip, especially if there is any pressure that is not directly straight (side pressure or pressure away from tree). I even tried muddy rope, and it will slip, but not as bad as amsteel.

I have been thinking about going back to original attachment system or using lone wolf straps with Versa buttons. I do use muddy pros with cam cleat, and I really like that system.

Thanks!
Use 8 mm static rope . It works perfect

Pics please pilgramhunter
Here you go. I cut the sticks down like @DaveT1963. I did a Diy versa button with 3/16" bolt and a small piece of 1/4" galvanized pipe as my spacer. Using 7mm rope and have not had it slip for me. I am getting ready to convert to amsteel as I feel the rope I use stretches to much. I may have to adjust the "spacer" length to still get a good pinch effect with smaller diameter rope. So far I am liking my setup. I did find the original straps to be a bit more "stable" than the rope but didn't like all the metal.

You will notice I am using 2 step aiders. This is not for everyone. Yes the can kick around a bit if you aren't careful. I just take it slow. I used to be all about speed but now I would rather slowdown and cut noise... 3 sticks with aiders is getting me around 20'.
2400e3744b75c2671e5ab0591ef11fff.jpg
c8cca5c0f444085876711c64f1bfcc5c.jpg
31178c1f98c23645a5ba661ae783ce27.jpg
15103d08ea5ba0bf58959a52fbdac057.jpg

Here you go. I cut the sticks down like @DaveT1963. I did a Diy versa button with 3/16" bolt and a small piece of 1/4" galvanized pipe as my spacer. Using 7mm rope and have not had it slip for me. I am getting ready to convert to amsteel as I feel the rope I use stretches to much. I may have to adjust the "spacer" length to still get a good pinch effect with smaller diameter rope. So far I am liking my setup. I did find the original straps to be a bit more "stable" than the rope but didn't like all the metal.

You will notice I am using 2 step aiders. This is not for everyone. Yes the can kick around a bit if you aren't careful. I just take it slow. I used to be all about speed but now I would rather slowdown and cut noise... 3 sticks with aiders is getting me around 20'.

What kind of aiders are those? I like how they attach to keep the steps open, the ones I made collapse bad which makes it a pain to get my foot in!

What kind of aiders are those? I like how they attach to keep the steps open, the ones I made collapse bad which makes it a pain to get my foot in!
Spiders?! Ha ha. I had to go back and look at my pics to see if there was a spider in any of them.
The aiders are some I made. I took tubular webbing and stitched them up on my wife's sewing machine using upholstery thread. From a safety stand point I can't recommend it because you rely on your stitching. But I feel confident with them for myself. They definitely help keep the step opened up and in position for me.

If your 7 mm rope stretches too much maybe it is dynamic rope and not static

If your 7 mm rope stretches too much maybe it is dynamic rope and not static
It is accessory cord... Should have not tried to go cheap. I just got I some 1/4" amsteel just haven't had time to make up new ropes yet. Am curious to see how much difference there is. Will try to post up results.

Spiders?! Ha ha. I had to go back and look at my pics to see if there was a spider in any of them.
The aiders are some I made. I took tubular webbing and stitched them up on my wife's sewing machine using upholstery thread. From a safety stand point I can't recommend it because you rely on your stitching. But I feel confident with them for myself. They definitely help keep the step opened up and in position for me.

Lol, I hate spellcheck! I tried to edit quickly, but not quickly enough!

Thanks!
They are Ronstan cam cleats, and total weight per stick with the rope and mods is 2.9lbs. I am using 1/4" amsteel for the ropes. I stack the middle one upside down and it balances out perfectly.
7d22d37013ad65f7e3b7331d739e16b6.jpg
52cf45bfb4e47dcfe4269e081fff06f1.jpg
a1b1e71dfd7f5197a1952e331f00bac5.jpg
c5895115247f800e60789ada0c715467.jpg
f2ff23e8071a6c3585d8aa150a5bc269.jpg
d7a19bee7fb152c34ffdbcf14c460bf1.jpg

Do you have pics and links to the cam cleats you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I posted some pics in the thread and I just ordered the cam cleats from West Marine. They are the Ronstan brand. I am a bigger guy so I went with the larger ones but my buddy uses the carbon ones and are a little lighter per cleat.

They are Ronstan cam cleats, and total weight per stick with the rope and mods is 2.9lbs. I am using 1/4" amsteel for the ropes. I stack the middle one upside down and it balances out perfectly.
7d22d37013ad65f7e3b7331d739e16b6.jpg
52cf45bfb4e47dcfe4269e081fff06f1.jpg
a1b1e71dfd7f5197a1952e331f00bac5.jpg
c5895115247f800e60789ada0c715467.jpg
f2ff23e8071a6c3585d8aa150a5bc269.jpg
d7a19bee7fb152c34ffdbcf14c460bf1.jpg

Are those camcleats carbon fiber? What size did you use, the mid size?

Are those camcleats carbon fiber? What size did you use, the mid size?
They are the mediums. My buddy I hunt with uses the carbon fiber ones but he is quite a bit smaller than I am.

Back