• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk helium vs muddy pro

Mattyq2402

Mar 15, 2018
Trying to get a new setup. I'm looking for simplicity and height. Hunting a river bottom for coues deer in Az. The deer aren't used to tree stand hunters, I'd like to get up as high as I can as quickly as I can. Founds 4 muddy for $151 and 3 heliums for $120. What would you guys do. Also i have an aider, is this something i can implement? Only used aider with my WE.

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
I dont know how deep you are hiking in. I pack in a single hawk helium, and repelling rope and a figure 8. Single stick climbing with a 2' webbing loop hung off the bottom of the helium.with practice I climb 25' in about 5 minutes. This leaves no trace at ground level, no extra crap to pack in. And when you are ready to hike out, girth hitch your rope around the tree, clip into figure 8, go down as fast as you please.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
Aug 30, 2019
Southwest Alabama
Definitely 1 stick and aider, with practice, beats carrying in 2 or 3 extra sticks, but if you aren’t rappelling down, one sticking down is not very fun. I can also tell you, that depending on terrain, 3 full size hellims can be tricky to pack in. I have no experience with Muddys but story is they are easier to one stick, due to cam cleat. But I’m not sure if you can buy just one anywhere. I one stick with a full size Hellium and a knaider and prussic loop on the bottom step at the moment. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay_Disarray

Recurveaholic

Dec 23, 2018
I one stick with a muddy pro and it is awesome but I do have a hawk helium on the way to try! And to me one sticking down is not too bad IMO and it eliminates having to carry extra rope!

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I've used muddy and heliums, currently use heliums. I'm around 230 and feel the heliums are sturdier. I like having 3 steps and don't mind the extra length. I strap them to my pack and don't have any difficulty with them getting hung up on stuff. I also use a movable two step aider. That with three sticks gets me to at least 20 feet. YMMV.

Reactions: Yodan