• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk heliums sliding

Ryanw5314

I am new to hunting in the saddle so climbing sticks are new to me. I am using the hawk heliums with mini versa straps. Today I was practicing climbing and when I put all my weight on my second step, it started to slide and I went with it until i reached the first step again. Then my first step slid to the bottom of the tree with me on it. It was a hard tree but I am wondering how to prevent this from happening. My theory is that the versa straps were not as tight as they should have been. I tighted it up but they still seem to not be biting in the tree very well. Any ideas?

Couple of things: are the versa buttons on your stick the stock 2019 ones? If so, the mini versa straps aren’t supposed to fit on those. Not that that is your issue, but wanted to clarify

Next, the daisy chain methods are prone to slippage because the straps don’t cinch as tight as a cam buckle.

So here is how I do it:
- step 0 is to make sure you’ve got at least one extra loop on the first end that is on the versabutton.
- pass strap around tree
- place stick where you want it
- pace loop over button, making sure the strap is even with the button all around the tree. Pull tight as you can to nearest loop. This minimizes slack.
- now pull the stick directly away from tree to maintain tension on strap
- now you can pull the stick down and lock it in place
- give it a few good tugs to make sure it is locked in
- check that all stand offs are making contact
- step up and I give it tiny bounce to lock it down further

Use linesmans belt before feet leave the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about getting some mini versa straps from my modified hawks as well. Seems like it might be a pain to deal with. Seems like the straps don't get tight enough when you place your sticks where you want them? Maybe try adding twist into the straps before placing the hole onto the button for better fitment...

I was thinking about getting some mini versa straps from my modified hawks as well. Seems like it might be a pain to deal with. Seems like the straps don't get tight enough when you place your sticks where you want them? Maybe try adding twist into the straps before placing the hole onto the button for better fitment...
Yeah since then I have practiced a lot more. The key is to get them as tight as possible. To do so you have to twist the straps to get it at the right spot. Now I tug hard on the sticks to make sure the sticks don't slide and I don't have as much of a problem. I did mod the sticks for the mini versa straps and I think it was definitely worth it.

I’ve been using Versas on my Helium’s all year. Haven’t had a single problem until Saturday. I found a tree they absolutely wouldn’t work on. I think it was a birch but could be wrong. I had the straps wrapped twice and they still wouldn’t hold! Trees like this I’d steer clear of lol
d4b1f4ca32eb6c85b895320dab00fe47.jpg

A lot of birch where Im at. Im looking to sell all three of my heliums because of it.

I’ve been using Versas on my Helium’s all year. Haven’t had a single problem until Saturday. I found a tree they absolutely wouldn’t work on. I think it was a birch but could be wrong. I had the straps wrapped twice and they still wouldn’t hold! Trees like this I’d steer clear of lol

That looks like a beech tree I tried last year with the same results. Maybe it attracts a bear to the area to shoot thinking another marked a tree in his territory!

Last edited:
Wow, I've been on Poplar and Beech with mine a bunch and have not had any issues like that. I get some sliding but nothing like that. I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks for sharing @flinginairos.

I slid going up and going down on the one and only poplar tree I sat. Very disconcerting! Just too slick for a bite in my opinion. I’m using Hawk Heliums with 7/64” Amsteel daisy chain.

Emrah

had a Helium kick out on a small popular,pucker factor rose faster than the space shuttle. Got down o.k. though. Luckly tether and linesmans belt were both connected.I "inch wormed" my way to next step. My fault as newbie I was not bringing rope around even with button but looping it upward of the button,too much slack.

Yeah since then I have practiced a lot more. The key is to get them as tight as possible. To do so you have to twist the straps to get it at the right spot. Now I tug hard on the sticks to make sure the sticks don't slide and I don't have as much of a problem. I did mod the sticks for the mini versa straps and I think it was definitely worth it.
In your opinion, do you think the mini versa straps are worth it? I did the helium mod as well. Contemplating on getting mini versa straps, predator platform and a kestrel flex saddle.

Dang, that's crazy. These are with the standard versa straps? Looks like you're running the new hawks.

I am running unmodified 2019 Heliums with regular versastraps and love them. I have not experienced what your talking about yet in several different tree sizes and species... yet?

Stay safe!

Back