• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Mini Sticks - Bent Steps

Driftless Trout Bum

Nov 11, 2021
Southeast MN
I got a set of Hawk mini sticks at the beginning of the season. I've used them maybe a dozen times this year. There are a few steps that are now slightly bent to where they don't quite fit back in the slot when you fold the steps in. There are one or two that are noticeably torqued and bent to the point they don't even fold up anymore. It seems to me that it is the metal step itself and not the bolts/hardware that is getting torqued.

Just curious if anyone else has had this same problem with the Hawk Mini's and if there are any solutions to this besides just moving on to a better stick.

Reactions: Brian_goes_hunting

mlk3454

Feb 28, 2021
I haven't had this problem though I one-stick with one of them more than I use the rest. I have dropped the stick from the tree before rappelling down but have folded the steps before that. Is a drop from height with the steps out causing the bend? How are you using them?

Driftless Trout Bum

Nov 11, 2021
Southeast MN
I haven't had this problem though I one-stick with one of them more than I use the rest. I have dropped the stick from the tree before rappelling down but have folded the steps before that. Is a drop from height with the steps out causing the bend? How are you using them?

I guess it is possible that I may have dropped them from height while forgetting to close the steps in but I believe I remember noticing the first bent step while removing the stick from the tree on my descent, stick was normal on ascent.

I use the daisy webbing that came with the sticks and can't always get it super snug, there have been a few minor kick outs. Now that I am thinking about it the bent steps could be from the weight of myself on them while not 100% secure to the tree.

I use the full set of 4 sticks as my main climbing method. Bottom stick with a one step aider and the top stick has the HSP platform.

Reactions: bfriendly

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I got a set of Hawk mini sticks at the beginning of the season. I've used them maybe a dozen times this year. There are a few steps that are now slightly bent to where they don't quite fit back in the slot when you fold the steps in. There are one or two that are noticeably torqued and bent to the point they don't even fold up anymore. It seems to me that it is the metal step itself and not the bolts/hardware that is getting torqued.

Just curious if anyone else has had this same problem with the Hawk Mini's and if there are any solutions to this besides just moving on to a better stick.
How much do you weigh?(don’t have to answer that btw) No impoliteness here, but I’m around 240ish with all my gear on and had an issue where the frame bent a bit where the step bolts to the stick. I’m not sure what the load limit is but I won’t be using mine anymore after that. Now in full disclosure I was using one for one sticking but even when I used 3 for climbing I could feel them flex a bit under my weight.

Driftless Trout Bum

Nov 11, 2021
Southeast MN
I run between 210 and 220. I changed most of the bent ones with the extra steps I had taken off to attach the HSP platform. I hunted with them this morning and made sure they were good and set to the tree before stepping on. I tend to get in a rush getting up the tree and I really took my time today. I didn't get any new bends or feel any flex today but I think next season I will be upgrading to a better stick.

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 11, 2017
Garrett County, MD
I run between 210 and 220. I changed most of the bent ones with the extra steps I had taken off to attach the HSP platform. I hunted with them this morning and made sure they were good and set to the tree before stepping on. I tend to get in a rush getting up the tree and I really took my time today. I didn't get any new bends or feel any flex today but I think next season I will be upgrading to a better stick.

My first suggestion is to either use the daisy chain in the truckers hitch method, (You can find some threads explaining it on here if you do a search) or get rid of the daisy chains and just use accessory cord or 1/4" Amsteel and wrap the button like was historically done with the "rope mode". Either of these will get the stick much tighter and safer than using the loops in daisy chains. I could definitely see the steps getting bent during one of the kick outs you mentioned. I've used both the old and new Hawks for years (I weigh about 185lbs) with no issues. They are a hard double step stick to beat for compactness/packability.

Reactions: mball1684

bfriendly

Jul 15, 2021
I’ve got what you have too. I’ve had some steps start folding very freely so I tightened them up, but no bends. I 1 stick with a 36” and the short stick With small platform attached…..I think I prefer the 36” stick. I’m using amsteel with cam cleats on those and gonna try the nite ize jam cam when it gets here for the ROS. I just tried having a good angle on the attachment cord with the cleats and it seems to make them bite harder than a more level cord, if that makes sense. Also if you put a single step aider, it’ll get you a few steps more. Since you’re probably using a LB instead of a tether to climb, it’s ez to set them higher too.

Driftless Trout Bum

Nov 11, 2021
Southeast MN
Update: I have heard horror stories about the bad customer service with Hawk. I went ahead and filed a warranty claim with them for the bent steps on my sticks. I attached the receipt of purchase, a few photos of the bent steps, and a brief explanation of what was wrong. I was fully expecting to not hear anything back for a number of days, if at all. To my surprise they responded within about 4 hours with an approval email letting me know they will be sending me a new set of 4 sticks.

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021

I had issues with one of the stand offs on mine.

bfriendly

Jul 15, 2021
Update: I have heard horror stories about the bad customer service with Hawk. I went ahead and filed a warranty claim with them for the bent steps on my sticks. I attached the receipt of purchase, a few photos of the bent steps, and a brief explanation of what was wrong. I was fully expecting to not hear anything back for a number of days, if at all. To my surprise they responded within about 4 hours with an approval email letting me know they will be sending me a new set of 4 sticks.
Hawk? Yes! Just YES! :hearteyes:

Nchunter1989

SH Member
Sep 16, 2019
Lillington,NC
This was discussed awhile back on some of the FB groups, general consensus is that it was all based on how you stepped on the stick. If your stick was “too high” or you were using an aider spaced too far, then side pressure on the folding steps were bending them- basically horizontal pressure, versus the vertical pressure the steps are designed for.

I had the same thing happen with my old set of Hawks, & once I went through my process, that’s exactly what was happening- I was setting the stick higher, & basically leveraging myself up with some horizontal force going into the step. I’m no small guy & was heavier in ‘20 using those sticks..

The main reason I prefer a fixed step.. beefier construction, less room for failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Driftless Trout Bum