• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk stick platform

bpz89

Does anyone use a Hawk mini and the Hawk stick platform as their “one stick”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this year. Worked fine. I added grade 8 bolts instead of the pins. Added grip tape to the surface also. Still had a little wobble so I added some nylon fender washer between the post and platform channel. I was successful with it too. I am however gonna upgrade to a smaller/lighter stick.

I used mine all season. I kept the pins and do have some wobble but that didn't bother me enough to change it out. I took an angle grinder and just scalloped the outside top edge for grip and did the cheap rattle can camo job on the whole thing. I was satisfied with the grip but fiddle factor in the off season may lead me to add bolts in place of the pins and paracord or grip tape the top edges. I did do the cam cleat and rope mod from Dan-O and made my own two step aider and have been very happy with the performance overall but dont have any other one sticks to compare it to. When not hiking far or using a pack I use the aider around the platform and bottom steps to form a strap and throw it over my shoulder for the walk in.

I am thinking of getting one. It seems to be the cheapest option. Any kick out?

I have one I used this year as well on top of a mini stick. It needs bolts and washers and grip tape. Otherwise it is just fine for my purpose. I attach the stick with a homemade 1/8 amsteel daisy chain, using the truckers hitch method. Never a kick out and am pretty sure I’d have to kick the piss out of the side of the bottom of the stick to get it to kick out. I also don’t one stick and just use the set of 4 sticks with 20” homemade aides. They work just fine for me.

I have one I used this year as well on top of a mini stick. It needs bolts and washers and grip tape. Otherwise it is just fine for my purpose. I attach the stick with a homemade 1/8 amsteel daisy chain, using the truckers hitch method. Never a kick out and am pretty sure I’d have to kick the piss out of the side of the bottom of the stick to get it to kick out. I also don’t one stick and just use the set of 4 sticks with 20” homemade aides. They work just fine for me.

Thank I will be looking for one now!

Now that my season is over I am going to try one sticking with it. I know the daisy chain isn’t the easiest way for one sticking. I am a short (5’6”) dude with short stumpy legs, so one sticking doesn’t net me much height each move. I still want to give it a shot.

I only had kick out once and that was practicing with it when I first got it at ground height. If you get the strap/rope/chain tight then cam it down it sits well on the tree.

As for being short and going 1 stick - as long as you aren't racing it doesn't matter how many moves it takes. I find if I dont over extend each move then I dont sweat. I can fly up a tree with huge moves but I am sweating through all my stuff by the time I get to the top...YMMV though. I enjoy the simplicity of items to carry in, climbing most any tree, and rappelling down is lots of fun to boot!

I only had kick out once and that was practicing with it when I first got it at ground height. If you get the strap/rope/chain tight then cam it down it sits well on the tree.

As for being short and going 1 stick - as long as you aren't racing it doesn't matter how many moves it takes. I find if I dont over extend each move then I dont sweat. I can fly up a tree with huge moves but I am sweating through all my stuff by the time I get to the top...YMMV though. I enjoy the simplicity of items to carry in, climbing most any tree, and rappelling down is lots of fun to boot!

Valid point on the number of moves. I do some srt, so I have all the gear to give it a shot. I’m lucky to have 300 acres of family land that is mixed ag field and forest, just me and my cousin hunt there. Most all presets but we don’t want to drill holes in the trees for bolts or steps and we move locations depending on what the crop rotation is.

I have the hawk mini on their short helium stick. I like it and haven’t had any issues with kicking out. I added an aider and I installed a cam cleat and use 3/16” amsteel cord for attachment. I always hang my stick with lots of slope in the attachment cord. When I pull it up, it comes up far enough I can gently get the line out of the cam cleat. I also replaced the pins with bolts/locknuts.

Back