• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heimlich

fawnzy

Well.....yesterday I got to do the Heimlich on a coworker. He is quite overweight and I could barely reach around him. After several thrusts I was accomplishing nothing. Luckily there was some there much bigger than I. I told him to take over while I called 911. He was able to easily reach around and do proper thrusts. It still took several thrusts to clear it.
So everyone walked away. Scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very scary. On a similar topic, CPR would be a good skill for a hunter to learn in case of emergency.

FYI, when you have someone with a large abdomen (ie overweight or pregnant) it is acceptable to wrap your arms around their chest and perform thrusts that way. If they lose consciousness, lower them down and start CPR.

Good job on responding and getting 911 on the way. You never know which way these things will go. Also, its great that you let someone else take over. When stuff like this goes down, a lot of people panic and get tunnel vision, repeating the same thing that isn't working!

CPR is a skill everyone should have.

We have a paramedic in our hunt camp, so we've been somewhat lax. But what if it's him that's hurt or he's a 20 min hike away.
Most of our camp is overweight and over 50.
Maybe he could give our camp a course in CPR.
Also I wonder what his recommend would be for cuts, punctures, or gun shot wounds.

I am a medic and ER nurse.

For GSW, large lacerations, and large puncture wounds, hold pressure and top the bleeding. Place a large absorbent bandage and hold tight (5x9 abd pads are a great thing to have). If it bleeds through the bandage, add more on top. Don't remove it, this disturbs whatever clot may have been forming.

Tourniquets are inexpensive and not very large. Any big camp should have one. I carry one in my small first aid kit while camping and hunting. Use a tourniquet to control major bleeding which can't be otherwise stopped. They definitely save lives and when used properly do not result in limb loss- plus, even if they do, life over limb!

Everyone should have some basic first aid skills when hunting. Having supplies is nice, but when it comes to cardiac arrest, major bleeding, trauma, exposure, etc knowledge is your best tool.

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can arrange. Certainly time to do some specific shopping as well

fawnzy said:
We have a paramedic in our hunt camp, so we've been somewhat lax. But what if it's him that's hurt or he's a 20 min hike away.
Most of our camp is overweight and over 50.
Maybe he could give our camp a course in CPR.
Also I wonder what his recommend would be for cuts, punctures, or gun shot wounds.

Now im no professional when it comes to CPR and medical treatment but i always carry a few of my wifes tampons with me(Supers) just in case of a puncture or gunshot wound. Its sanitized and is built to expand and absorb fluids. I also carry some sort of paracord that can be used as a turnicate or splint for a broken limb etc.

Correct me if im wrong but thats what ive done the past few years. Oh and ALWAYS have a med kit at camp, theres no excuse not to!

There is a med kit in the camp. And the paramedic brings up stuff the average joe won't have.
Out in the woods it could take an hour for our paramedic to leave his stand and get to the injured party. I think we need a few tricks up our sleeves until he arrives (as long as he's not the injured)

Back