• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium Hawk Mod

CrackbottomLouis

So, I just fixed up my stick for one sticking.

Only thing that looks off to me is the bottom bolt for the tree cleat. I made sure to measure the original distance from the bottom of the stick to the bolt and put it in the same spot but it looks just too close to the bottom of the stick.

Did I miss the boat on putting that bolt up a little higher with more meat between the bolt and the bottom of the stick? When tying the aider to the bottom tree cleat and over the bottom step for one sticking will I be putting more stress on that bolt and the bottom of the stick than the original design expected making more meat between the 2 desirable?

Don’t have my Heliums anymore but I’m pretty sure that bottom standoff comes from the factory flush with the bottom of the stick so I think you did it right.

I never tried my aiders on the standoff I just put tubular webbing through the holes in the steps and tied a knot to keep them from pulling through. Helped to keep the aider open too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you still have the end you cut off?

and yes, it flush with the bottom:

1577497525413.png
I have always girth hitched my aiders to the shaft of the stick above the bottom step. you wont torque your steps that way and your weight can't do anything but pull straight down on the stick.

aider on stick.jpg

Question. What size bolt did you use for cam cleat?

I’ve got maybe 2 more hunts before I run out of season. Then It’s cut em and 1 stick practice.

Haven’t gone so far to look at hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Question. What size bolt did you use for cam cleat?

I’ve got maybe 2 more hunts before I run out of season. Then It’s cut em and 1 stick practice.

Haven’t gone so far to look at hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What you want is m5 60mm total length with 50mm unthreaded. If you can find them you want grade 5 or 8 but I wasn't able to find that. With lock nuts of course. Flat head. I have stainless fully threaded in now because I couldn't find what I wanted. Search continues.

Last edited:
Back