• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium stick mod

Pastorjim

Ok guys, I'm looking to do a mod to my Hawk Helium sticks. I'm debating between using an 8mm static rope or using the rope cam cleats, I really favor the latter even though it's more expensive. My question is if I do the cam cleats, where or how do you attach the other end of the rope? Is it just tied on or is there another method for attaching it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you are setting multiple sticks for climbing I think the regular rope mod is fine and maybe even preferred due to cost.
If you are 1-sticking the cam cleat is the way to go.

Recent thread about hawk helium cam cleat mod.

FYI - If you use a Harken 150 or Schaffer 70-17 you will need at least 2.25" hardware to mount through a Hawk Helium stick.
I measured and figured I had about 1/4" of threads with a 2" bolt but it didn't work out that way. Barely had enough to thread on the nuts so I have to go back for some 2.25" or 2.5" hardware.

I have it two ways. No noticeable difference between either method. I’m using Sterling 7mm accessory cord
4c0c671a734a403affe6218fab0991f0.jpg

1adb5866eddb09226465f46847843403.png

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it two ways. No noticeable difference between either method. I’m using Sterling 7mm accessory cord
4c0c671a734a403affe6218fab0991f0.jpg

1adb5866eddb09226465f46847843403.png

Semper Fi,
Mike
I like that girth hitch attachment method as I mentioned in a post a few months ago. How's it work?

I like that girth hitch attachment method as I mentioned in a post a few months ago. How's it work?

No ill effects from it to the cam cleat. I was concerned the stick may torque by using the versa button, but it hasn’t.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Last edited:
Back