• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium top of stick platform

SapperWeis

I used two pieces of 2” aluminum angle to create a 4” platform. Last season I just used the top of the stick as a platform, it did the trick I shot a doe with my recurve (first saddle deer) but was not comfortable on the feet for long sits. I got the idea from the artisan top of stick platform. It is stable when load bearing in all direction.
791fc2073a3fea8012a739a0739c5b8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! Nice work! May have to give that a try. My only concern is kickout but you say it's not an issue?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For extra stability, you could always drill a hole on each side and stand on lower step to run a strap with hooks for the holes around the tree.

I’ve been experimenting for a while with both a flip up version of a larger platform & a smaller fixed version on top of the stick frame. Pretty solid if you keep pressure on top but is limited on side forces without adding an additional top strap.

I used two pieces of 2” aluminum angle to create a 4” platform. Last season I just used the top of the stick as a platform, it did the trick I shot a doe with my recurve (first saddle deer) but was not comfortable on the feet for long sits. I got the idea from the artisan top of stick platform. It is stable when load bearing in all direction.
791fc2073a3fea8012a739a0739c5b8a.jpg

Beautiful. I did something silmilar but the stock you used is more readily available. Did you bolt the 2" angle to both front and back of the top step? I can't quite see in your photos.
Here is what I came up with. It is stable while standing on top. I have not been able to get the bottom of the stick to kick sideways by standing on the top side of the step with the Hawk straps. I calculated the torque on the bottom of a 30" stick would be 36 pounds for my ~180 pound weight standing on the top edge.

I bolted it to the front of the stick. It looks like you have yours attached in the same spot. I had to buy longer bolts to get it to work. I also put 2” grip tape on the top and painted it. When I tested It I did not have kick out and I adjusted my saddle to put more weight on the stick for testing. I probably will add a strap at the bottom when im at hunting height just as a precaution.

Any updates on this? I think I would like to try it. How did they hold up this year?

Any updates on this? I think I would like to try it. How did they hold up this year?
I am using a Primal step with this same piece attached. The story is here.

Back