• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium Versa Button Bolts, Versa Aider

HeyBoom32

Oct 26, 2022
Going to be trying out the Versa Aider this year with my Hawk Heliums. The versa button itself on the Heliums seems stout enough, but I was thinking that maybe it's a good idea to swap out the bolts with some grade 8 hardware. I've been using a movable aider that simply loops over the top stand-off so a whole different point of contact. But with the versa aider, it'll put that additional load directly on the versa button instead of on the stand off, which makes me question the versa button bolts. Am I being over cautious here, or would this be a wise thing to do?

Reactions: Dope on a Rope

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
Going to be trying out the Versa Aider this year with my Hawk Heliums. The versa button itself on the Heliums seems stout enough, but I was thinking that maybe it's a good idea to swap out the bolts with some grade 8 hardware. I've been using a movable aider that simply loops over the top stand-off so a whole different point of contact. But with the versa aider, it'll put that additional load directly on the versa button instead of on the stand off, which makes me question the versa button bolts. Am I being over cautious here, or would this be a wise thing to do?
I can't answer this scientificly. But for what it's worth I ran my first year with a moveable aider on full hawks. Didn't change out the button bolt. 260+ that year. No issues.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
I looked this up this morning. Someone can correct it if I am wrong.. But a bolt general has a high shear weight. So as long as you don't fall on it. They generally can support a lot of weight for the size.
Screenshot_20230920-091709~2.png

Shapeshifter

SH Member
Sep 22, 2022
Not sure how musc you weigh but my first year saddle hunting I used that exact same setup, Hawks with versa aider. I was 205lbs at the time and never had a problem or felt unsafe. Do what makes you comfortable though.

Reactions: MattMan81

HeyBoom32

Oct 26, 2022
I'm 6' 225 lbs, but geared up, definitely more than that.
I've been using these sticks for a few years now with no issues. They're cut down full length heliums. I was just concerned about adding that extra stress directly to the button and bolt with this new to me versa aider.

Dope on a Rope

SH Member
Jan 21, 2023
I had the same thought last year but I was concerned about the plastic deforming more than the bolt… interesting to see others doing it.