• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium With Rope Mod. Kicking Out

joel0711

Full length Heliums with amsteel rope mod are kicking out on me on popular trees that are approx. 6-7 inches diameter. I'm tying as instructed on You Tube,making sure to set the sticks but still getting bottom kickout when descending,upping pucker factor to 10+ I know the simple answer is change to a different species tree but this area has only populars and is extremely thick with few openings for bow shot. It's a small bench area that deer cross regularly and I hate to give up on a good area cause of sticks kicking out on me. Once up Predator and Mantis working great(this small area is one reason I went to saddle),but coming down is an adventure I don't need!!
Ideas please

I,ll trade you 10 W E Stepps and 2 bags (5) and a (10) for them . These will go around a small dia tree

What about trying the original straps that came with the sticks?

Anybody had to go back to the original straps due to kickout with ropes?? I'd prefer ropes for the ease of use but can't put up with kickouts! I understand about placing foot in middle of stick but doesn't that sorta negate having double steps on the sticks,and I still got 2 more steps to go to get to the next stick. Thanks guys,,,anymore ideas??

Anybody had to go back to the original straps due to kickout with ropes?? I'd prefer ropes for the ease of use but can't put up with kickouts! I understand about placing foot in middle of stick but doesn't that sorta negate having double steps on the sticks,and I still got 2 more steps to go to get to the next stick. Thanks guys,,,anymore ideas??

I went back to buckle straps after trying Versa Straps. The extra weight of the buckles isn't THAT big of a deal and I Stealth Stripped them so they are quiet. They don't pack quite as neatly but less fiddle factor IMO.

I put versa buttons and rope mod on a set and they were really solid. I went to W.E. and am going back to Helliums. Only reason I got rid of mine was I didn't want to carry them around, Have a better pack now and going back. That's the joy of this site. For only $15 I can switch gear like a woman trading shoes !!

I have leverage mini sticks that were kicking out with amsteel daisy chain for staps. I grinded points into tree bracket to make it bite better. Now they bite right into tree. Made a huge difference. You can see the bark in the grooves.
5aa15a3e5f09eeb7f841088b218d9951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cthunter whatcha gringing down with?? Dremel....I'd like to keep my ropes but can't stand the kickouts (pucker factors), Did grinding make a big difference in the botton standoff? That's the one that keeps kicking out.---THANKS---Greg

Back