• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium's creaking noise on tree.

Steve Plemmons

I'm using Hawk Heliums with Amsteel daisy chains. I absolutely love this setup, but on some trees, the steps make a creaking noise when putting weight on them. This appears to be because there is just enough stretch in the amsteel daisy chains that the stand offs rub on the bark and make a creaking sound. I'm still evaluating, but it seems to happen more when my daisy chain loop doesn't match up well and I have to go a little looser with the rope. Obviously, you gotta expect some of this when two surfaces are rubbing together and given the physics of this, it might be unavoidable and obviously it's only on the way up and the way down. Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight.

I have had every brand of climbing stick make noises at some point. I prefer a tie down system that snugs the sticks tightly before you set it for that purpose. What i have found is that sticks that tend to rise up a bit after weight is taken off are the ones that make the noise. Most of the time those are sticks that are as not as tight as they should be. exactly why i do not prefer daisy chain or versa straps for sticks or platforms (they work great most of the time - but then....) I recommend learning to tie straight amsteel on tightly (I over this in a video if you are interested) or going to a strap/buckle line LW.

I have experienced that little bit of creaking also. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I have had every brand of climbing stick make noises at some point. I prefer a tie down system that snugs the sticks tightly before you set it for that purpose. What i have found is that sticks that tend to rise up a bit after weight is taken off are the ones that make the noise. Most of the time those are sticks that are as not as tight as they should be. exactly why i do not prefer daisy chain or versa straps for sticks or platforms (they work great most of the time - but then....) I recommend learning to tie straight amsteel on tightly (I over this in a video if you are interested) or going to a strap/buckle line LW.

Yes, I agree that the sticks that are making this noise are the ones that tend to rise back up after taking weight off. This makes sense I guess since the rope is looser, the angle is higher and would be pulling the stick up instead of horizontally into the tree. I guess if it bothers me enough I can replace the factory button with the modded versa button and do the friction knot, but I love the smaller rope on the daisy chains. No way I'm going back to strap/buckles. Thanks for your comment!

I have experienced that little bit of creaking also. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

You know the only reason that I notice it at all is because of how much quieter the whole process is compared to my climber. Even the creaking is way quieter than it would have been to climb in my climber. I just notice it because just about everything about climbing in my saddle is almost completely silent. Even my more permanent stick ladders made some noise when climbing. I guess that's a good problem to have! :)

I find it’s a lot of smoother bark trees & I’ve had that problem w/ most stick brands. I agree w/ @DaveT1963 that straps that don’t crank them tight are more prone to this.

I agree with you Dave.
I started with straight amsteel and have tried the woven daisy chain thinking it would be the ticket. It’s great 50-75% of the time, but a real pain the other.

I will probabaly be swapping back to straight amsteel in the near future.

Mine make noise but I figured it was stick telling. “Damn dude either buy a predator platform or lose some weigh “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine squeaked too. Took a grinder and knocked the round edges off the teeth. Kinda sharpened them..no more noise. I do use an amsteel daisy chain as well.

Sometimes you can turn your stick sideways, get a tighter loop, then rotate your stick back to vertical position. If it’s the sag from being a loop too long making the noise then this may help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the best pic but you'll get the idea.
830bdf50e0bd90399c408ecf24ba54d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back