• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from North Texas.

RShockley

My name is Richard and I have predominantly been a waterfowl hunter for the past 6-7 years. I used to deer hunt public lands here in Texas but this season I am jumping back into it full force. I started out hunting in ladder stands but always felt limited by the weight when looking for a spot. Switched to climbers and hang on stands but ultimately always felt they were far from perfect. Now that I am getting back into the deer hunting side of things I started looking for better options and stumbled across this site. I will most likely start accumulating everything needed to saddle hunt over the next year and start using them next season. Right now my plan is to get the Mantis starter kit with the platform. Stick debating climbing options. I would like to use climbing spikes but they are not allowed on our public land. I will probably end up with climbing sticks and some sort of aider. I have been reading as much as possible about the use of saddles and it certainly seems like the way to go for my hunting style. I am always pretty far off the beaten path on the public spot I hunt because they very pressured due to their close proximity to the DFW area. Looking forward to getting back into deer hunting and learning what saddle hunting has to offer. I jumped back into it full force this season with entering draw hunts, a ton of scouting, and I am even planning a mule deer hunt in a location I have never been. Although saddle hunting seems like a bit of a learning curve I am determined to learn and improve with it. After doing as much research as I could I truly feel the saddle is going to be the best option for me. Look forward to getting to know the community and if anyone is from or hunts the North Texas area feel free to ask if you need any help.

Welcome, the lighter weight aspect of this saddle hunting is great, I just have to watch my spending on all of the great gear I was missing out on! Good luck with your season!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from another new guy here, I am from OKC, but hunt down in the south eastern part of the state, I know a lot of Texans hunt there as well. I have met several. My wife was born and grew up in East Texas. I like you have hunted the ladders, listed by weight, even helped my dad drag what seemed like a 100 pound tripod across some really rough terrain on public land some 30 years ago. I am slowly but surely getting some money set back and saved up to give this a really good try, hopefully this year, I can say I have at the very least seen some deer while hunting from a saddle. Good luck and keep us posted on your hunting adventures.
Dale

Welcome from Missouri. I think you came to the right stop if you have any questions about saddle hunting. I'm new here as well and everyone here seems to helpful and quick to answer questions and provide tips.

My name is Richard and I have predominantly been a waterfowl hunter for the past 6-7 years. I used to deer hunt public lands here in Texas but this season I am jumping back into it full force. I started out hunting in ladder stands but always felt limited by the weight when looking for a spot. Switched to climbers and hang on stands but ultimately always felt they were far from perfect. Now that I am getting back into the deer hunting side of things I started looking for better options and stumbled across this site. I will most likely start accumulating everything needed to saddle hunt over the next year and start using them next season. Right now my plan is to get the Mantis starter kit with the platform. Stick debating climbing options. I would like to use climbing spikes but they are not allowed on our public land. I will probably end up with climbing sticks and some sort of aider. I have been reading as much as possible about the use of saddles and it certainly seems like the way to go for my hunting style. I am always pretty far off the beaten path on the public spot I hunt because they very pressured due to their close proximity to the DFW area. Looking forward to getting back into deer hunting and learning what saddle hunting has to offer. I jumped back into it full force this season with entering draw hunts, a ton of scouting, and I am even planning a mule deer hunt in a location I have never been. Although saddle hunting seems like a bit of a learning curve I am determined to learn and improve with it. After doing as much research as I could I truly feel the saddle is going to be the best option for me. Look forward to getting to know the community and if anyone is from or hunts the North Texas area feel free to ask if you need any help.
Welcome to the site! I am pretty new to the saddle seen also. Texas guy from texarkana

Back