• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from TN

Steve

I'm new here after hearing John Eberhart on big buck registry. I have been reading the forums and now I'm very interested in trying this hunting method. Thing is I started hunting with a crossbow last season and I'm hooked and I haven't seen anything mentioned about hunting with a crossbow from a saddle does anybody have any info on that?

Welcome to the site Steve. I'm in Tn along with a couple of other guys. I'm sure there are a few guys that hunt with a crossbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm in the Chattanooga area, it would be nice to find someone close by to show me the ropes no pun intended

Thanks, I'm in the Chattanooga area, it would be nice to find someone close by to show me the ropes no pun intended

Bigasports, cozy and my self are all middle tn. I'm probably closest in Lewisburg. I hunt from a sit drag. Bigasports is close by he's got a new tribe. Come on up.

Last edited:
Very easy to hunt with a crossbow, from a saddle. Like Huck said, its all how you set up. Takes just s little practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very easy to hunt with a crossbow, from a saddle. Like Huck said, its all how you set up. Takes just s little practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is getting even easier to hunt with the new crossbows An Excalibur micro is very compact and easy to use in a saddle

Thanks for the comments, I am hunting with the Excalibur micro 355

I'm in Nashville. Whatever you hunt with, the main difference is that you are facing the tree. You just need to be able to shoot in a twisting position. Easier for me than from a regular treestand.

I hunt with a recurve or rifle

OK im sold and ready to pull the trigger on a saddle, should I get the new tribe evolution or wait until the new one comes out, or something else?

You should get a Trophyline tree saddle on eBay. Or from a member here on the forum. This is the opinion of a guy who has never used anything else. There is a cult-like dedication to the sitdrag and to the evolution so don't be surprised if they tell you that huck72412 is an idiot that doesn't know any better.

Why do you recommend the trophy line tree saddle over the evolution.?

Why do you recommend the trophy line tree saddle over the evolution.?
I only do so because it is all I have ever used. I have become very comfortable and efficient with my particular setup which includes aTL , spurs and ameristeps. Based on everything you see on the forum, a beginner stands a better chance with an evolution because of the adjustment capabilities which should ultimately equate to a shorter learning curve.

The trophy line has its place for saddle hunting, in a big way. They are simple, very comfortable , and very hard to find . I like mine equally , with the aero hunter. Read around, likely you will get many opinions. I might be persuaded to sell one of my trophy lines .

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

You should get a Trophyline tree saddle on eBay. Or from a member here on the forum. This is the opinion of a guy who has never used anything else. There is a cult-like dedication to the sitdrag and to the evolution so don't be surprised if they tell you that huck72412 is an idiot that doesn't know any better.

Yeah this dude nuts!

Lol but loves his trophyline!!

I have a sitdrag. I bought it because I was afraid to spend the money on a new tribe and not like it. I already had climbing sticks, I was already using a rock climbing harness (which I ditched already) so I bought a sit drag for like $40, a muddy life line and was in the tree for $75.

OK im sold and ready to pull the trigger on a saddle, should I get the new tribe evolution or wait until the new one comes out, or something else?
I would wait until the new one comes out personally. We don't know the exact release date but I'm hoping the next couple weeks...

The trophyline was a great saddle and I don't blame @huck72412 for his devotion to it. But IMO its time has come and gone. You can find a better deal if you search, but they are going for $400-500 on ebay. I would not pay that much for a used saddle who's company is out of business when I have another option available. Plus, the sizing on them can be finicky. You need to make sure you get a size that fits you, usually one smaller than you'd expect.

The biggest advantage of the aero hunter was that it was adjustable so you can tweak it to fit you. You can't go wrong with the old version, but with the new version weeks away I would hold out.

Love the hunting with a Bazooka reply!!!! Now that's some funny s--t.

Steve

Harness hunting done correctly will set you apart from any other type of apparatus. There are definitely aspects of using a harness that add a ton to the comfort level of it. Be very open minded when learning how to use it and don't be afraid of making adjustments as most on this site have. Once you learn how to properly use it, you'll never look back!

Back