• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from VA

Broncoinva

Hi from central Virginia. I really like this site. Lots of good info and I can't believe all of the modifications and new ideas people have. Me, I'm a lot more boring. I use a straight stock trophyline tree saddle, no modifications, and hook up just like the instructions that came with it. Been using the saddle exclusively (except for a couple hunts a year from the ground in a ghillie suit) for 5 years after reading the Eberhart books. I think the saddle is comfortable, have used it for all day sits. I move a round a fair bit in the tree just to stay comfortable and have never been picked off by a deer (that I know of). I love how the saddle lets you essentially hide behind the tree. I use a crossbow and muzzleloader and both work great from the saddle. I use either a couple of Cranford screw in steps followed by three lone wolf sticks, or all Cranford folding steps. I don't have any trees set up ahead of time, though always wish I had. That's my only complaint about the saddle, it is sometimes pretty difficult in cold weather and pitch dark to climb a tree from scratch and get set up. Sometimes by the time I am done I am sweating profusely and worn out (and I'm in shape) and it sounds loud to me. Anyway, look forward to sharing with you all over the years.

Welcome! I went to college in VA (Liberty U in Lynchburg) and I absolutely love that state! I'll probably retire somewhere in VA.

Setting up trees ahead of time is the way to go. Occassionally I'll setup in the dark, but I hate to do that. But I guess it's a give and take. I'm not sure which is less intrusive: going in early and setting everything up the morning of the hunt and making all that racket (plus sweating) or making an extra trip to the spot a few days prior to setup.

Welcome! Where at in Central Va? I'm located outside of Fredericksburg a little ways. Think there are a few others from VA.

Thanks,
Boswell

I'm in Charlottesville. I hunt both east and west of the blue ridge, depending on time of year and private access. I have very little private land available to hunt (perhaps 3-4 hunts per year) so do most of my hunting pretty deep in public land. Less deer, but not many hunters, either, which is a plus.

That was a very nice buck you got the other evening. Really unique antlers.

Back