• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello newbie from South Florida

Danny75

Hello to all thank you for having me. This an amazing site tons of good reading for a newbie to be. I have never saddle hunted before. But reading a lot and have watched a lot of videos been very interested in learning how to saddle hunt for about 1 Year now. I haven’t hunted in about 3 years now do to relocating for a new job and just life situation. The woods have been calling talking to me I need to get back on trees miss it terribly.

Im a trad bow shooter something i do is practice every time I have a chance to fling some arrows. Really enjoy the simplicity of a stick and string nothing like it.

Question to all you saddle hunters out there that hunt with traditional bow. How’s the transition from a hang on or climber to shooting from a saddle with a bridge in front of you. Is there a steep learning curve does your shooting change any just wondering thanks for all and any feedback.

Being eyeing two different saddles the Mantis and the JX3 any and all tips would be gladly appreciate on these saddles thanks Glad to have found such a great site and sorry it took so long to introduce myself

I would tell @DaveT1963 is a big Trad hunter.

The best thing about shooting from a saddle is that once you get into saddle shape, whether it be trad or compound bow the saddle helps keep you in form. Other than the bridge which is more of a challenge trad hunter. Do not over think it. Plan your moves while climbing and shooting.

I for one haven't tried the new JX3, but the original never worked for me and a trad bow. I think I hunted with it 2 or 3 times. The new model does look better but I just haven't tried it yet.

For me, shooting from a saddle is actually easier than from a trad stand. Think it has to do with being able to get into alignment easier. While standing on a lock on, it was always challenging to bend at the waist.... with a saddle it just seems to happen (alignment) naturally.

I seldom even practice from a saddle (due to a lack of trees right where I live), and I just dont have a problem come hunting season making the shot when it happens.
Others might have a different experience, but for me saddle hunting and a trad bow just work together. BTW I use a platform, a short bridge, and a low tether.... I cover all this and 360 shooting from an early video on my youtube if you are interested. PM me if you want to discuss, just dont get on here as much these days as I doing a lot of scouting right now.

Last edited:
Welcome!
I’m from S Florida N Ft Myers and am just now picking up a trad bow. I have been shooting compound for about 15 years.
I have a Kestrel size 2, A Mantis XL, An EVO size 1, and two sit drags sewn together. I have most of the climbing methods other than WE steps. I’m currently gone but should be home in 3 weeks or a month. If you want we can set up a time for you to try my gear. Just PM me and we can set something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would tell @DaveT1963 is a big Trad hunter.

The best thing about shooting from a saddle is that once you get into saddle shape, whether it be trad or compound bow the saddle helps keep you in form. Other than the bridge which is more of a challenge trad hunter. Do not over think it. Plan your moves while climbing and shooting.

Thank you for the feedback. Can’t wait to try out a saddle. Seems like it would be very fun and exciting to do plus it looks to be very comfortable after your body gets trained to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one haven't tried the new JX3, but the original never worked for me and a trad bow. I think I hunted with it 2 or 3 times. The new model does look better but I just haven't tried it yet.

For me, shooting from a saddle is actually easier than from a trad stand. Think it has to do with being able to get into alignment easier. While standing on a lock on, it was always challenging to bend at the waist.... with a saddle it just seems to happen (alignment) naturally.

I seldom even practice from a saddle (due to a lack of trees right where I live), and I just dont have a problem come hunting season making the shot when it happens.
Others might have a different experience, but for me saddle hunting and a trad bow just work together. BTW I use a platform, a short bridge, and a low tether.... I cover all this and 360 shooting from an early video on my youtube if you are interested. PM me if you want to discuss, just dont get on here as much these days as I doing a lot of scouting right now.

Thank you so much for the feedback. That’s pretty cool that saddle actually puts you in perfect form when shooting your bow. I always founded it challenging to bend at the waist from a tree stand or climber. I taught myself to bend my knees when shooting from a hang on or climber. Seemed to work better for me

I was thinking’s platform was the best option for me I have size 13 foots so the extra room seems just up my alley. I was also pulling for the Mantis saddle and platform kind of expensive but doable. I just need to get it to start practicing so I could get into saddle shape and learn the rope to saddle hunting.

Welcome!
I’m from S Florida N Ft Myers and am just now picking up a trad bow. I have been shooting compound for about 15 years.
I have a Kestrel size 2, A Mantis XL, An EVO size 1, and two sit drags sewn together. I have most of the climbing methods other than WE steps. I’m currently gone but should be home in 3 weeks or a month. If you want we can set up a time for you to try my gear. Just PM me and we can set something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you so much for the offer. I would like to take you up on that. I sent you a PM.
I also use to shoot a compound bow till I had an very bad experience with it. Was walking through the woods wind was blowing pretty hard so decided to take a longer walk to my stand to not spook anything out took a creek bottom and where I decided to pop back out at was pretty steep of a bank I slipped and my bow was in my hand. Didn’t notice it till I got up on my stand when I nocked my arrow in is when I noticed my rest which was a drop away the drop hand had broke and shifted out of place so I was done with my hunt but couldn’t get out till dark which sucked. Had deer come by and I couldn’t shoot. Lesson learned. That was the last year I had my training wheels on. Much more simpler with a trad bow

Thank you all for the welcome aboard great site

Back