• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello trad hunters

I’m Tony and I’d like to meet fellow trad hunters I can follow and learn from. This is my first season in the saddle and have encountered how difficult a 12/3 o’clock shot is for a right handed shooter. I’d like to hear others experiences good and bad and I’ll share mine along the way as well.
I hunt on private land in Muskingum county where I’m from and plan on learning to hunt public ground here in central Ohio where I live now. Compared to other places I feel positive about my chances here on public ground. It seems like you can’t drive 5 miles on any road without seeing carcasses. Maybe I’m overconfident from inexperience?
I shoot a 60” Morrison Dakota 52# @ 27 that my wife bought me last year as a surprise gift. I shoot 190 grain Simmons Treesharks with 100 grain brass inserts inside Goldtip ultralight 600 shafts with a total arrow weight of 550 grains. I have yet to shoot a deer with this setup but after watching Louisianabowhunter and Tagging out traditional videos I anticipate results as advertised.
Once I look through some threads and figure out how to resize my pics I’ll upload some moving forward. Hello to anyone who reaches out trad or not! I’m here to learn.

I’m Tony and I’d like to meet fellow trad hunters I can follow and learn from. This is my first season in the saddle and have encountered how difficult a 12/3 o’clock shot is for a right handed shooter. I’d like to hear others experiences good and bad and I’ll share mine along the way as well.
I hunt on private land in Muskingum county where I’m from and plan on learning to hunt public ground here in central Ohio where I live now. Compared to other places I feel positive about my chances here on public ground. It seems like you can’t drive 5 miles on any road without seeing carcasses. Maybe I’m overconfident from inexperience?
I shoot a 60” Morrison Dakota 52# @ 27 that my wife bought me last year as a surprise gift. I shoot 190 grain Simmons Treesharks with 100 grain brass inserts inside Goldtip ultralight 600 shafts with a total arrow weight of 550 grains. I have yet to shoot a deer with this setup but after watching Louisianabowhunter and Tagging out traditional videos I anticipate results as advertised.
Once I look through some threads and figure out how to resize my pics I’ll upload some moving forward. Hello to anyone who reaches out trad or not! I’m here to learn.
Welcome! I to am shooting stick and string:2018-09-12 07.37.06.jpg

I'm new this year also. I hunt with a 54" Fox Breed recurve. I haven't hunted from the saddle yet.. just practice. I found it difficult to shoot with just standing on steps for a platform. I got an XOP platform from this forum and what a difference. I can easily shoot from 12 to close to 2 o'clock from the left hand side of the tree being a right handed shooter. I just swing to about 9 o'clock on the tree and put my left knee on the tree, and right foot on the platform and I have plenty of room for that shot. From what I'm learning it's just practice...

Welcome Tony. My daughter lives in Grove City not far from you. If you're looking for a great hunting experience and to become a better hunter you've chosen the right equipment.
How long have you been shooting and what distance would you feel comfortable shooting at a deer should the opportunity arise?

Hello my name isJohnathan and I am a tradaholic. I prefer my predator over a ring of steps for the weak side. I just drop my left shoulder under my tether and spin on the platform. That makes my weak side now the strong side and can lean into the tether for stability.

Hello my name isJohnathan and I am a tradaholic. I prefer my predator over a ring of steps for the weak side. I just drop my left shoulder under my tether and spin on the platform. That makes my weak side now the strong side and can lean into the tether for stability.
I'll have to give that a try!

I'll have to give that a try!

I learned it from Flingin and also a lesson learned the hard way this past weekend on a decent buck. I tried rotating and couldn’t get clearance due to the cant of my longbow. By the time it hit me to go under and rotate it was too late but it was so much easier to get turned to where he was. I now know that is the way “I” will turn to make a weak side shot regardless now. Give it a few practice tries and see if it works for you.

Welcome Tony. My daughter lives in Grove City not far from you. If you're looking for a great hunting experience and to become a better hunter you've chosen the right equipment.
How long have you been shooting and what distance would you feel comfortable shooting at a deer should the opportunity arise?
Greetings Ricky I got into trad archery around 2008. I had been shooting compounds and thought it was too easy. I googled trad archery and found out Morrison Archery was in my area. I called Bob, he invited me over, it’s been on since. He’s been a great mentor over the years and has helped me a lot.
As far as shooting I shot “instinctive” for years and sucked. I listened to everyone wax poetic and kept trying and trying. Through all types of mental adversity from it. I even went to Arkansas to Rick Welch for a 2 day private lesson (super fun, informative, and beautiful land) but I was inconsistent. I always heard negative attitudes about aiming methods and believed them. Then I saw a video about fixed crawl. Since then I beat at least 80% of all shooters at the Friday night indoor league (they spot trad shooters 50 points and the longest shot is 30 yards. With my setup my point on is 30 yards. Fixed crawl also relieved my target panic. I set my fixed crawl for point on 20 yards. Bob told me that even though I can hit a softball at 30 yards consistently with the speed of our bows the deer won’t be there when the arrow arrives. He instructed me to stick to 25 yards or less unless it’s windy. He said that will block some of the sound.
I had 4 does 7 yards from me in my first sit. I learned that
1. Don’t pick a tree at the bottom of a hill on the path. When they’re coming down the hill, they’re looking you in the face
2. If the deer are walking from your 11 o’clock around the front of the tree around to your 6 just turn around and wait for them to walk past for an easy 6-7 o’clock shot. I had a great time learning those hard lessons though.
I can shoot well with confidence but I am sure to admit that I DO NOT know how to hunt. I’m eager to learn and really appreciate everyone who jumps on to share.

Great tip! I have so much to learn and practice!

Welcome to the forum! You are very fortunate to have access to someone like Mr. Morrison. Bob is very knowledgeable, learn what you can and enjoy.
With quiet clothing and not a lot of stuff hanging off my waist, I too just turn and have been successful taking that off side shot. no problem at all.

Welcome from PA.
I've been trad since 1992. I love it and have no intention of ever shooting a compound again. Hunted a few years from a Trophy Line but wasn't crazy about it.
This will be my 1st year with a Kestrel and Predator. Im still a bit unpolished with my run and gun and I think, for me, presets will be my preference.
I also hunt Ohio...been going to Harrison Co since 1995 and will return there in a couple weeks.
Also got new access to property down in Meigs Co. Looks like it has potential, but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome from PA.
I've been trad since 1992. I love it and have no intention of ever shooting a compound again. Hunted a few years from a Trophy Line but wasn't crazy about it.
This will be my 1st year with a Kestrel and Predator. Im still a bit unpolished with my run and gun and I think, for me, presets will be my preference.
I also hunt Ohio...been going to Harrison Co since 1995 and will return there in a couple weeks.
Also got new access to property down in Meigs Co. Looks like it has potential, but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Me and the wife have started the early planning stages of moving and buying property and Meigs co is on our radar. I hunt primarily Muskingum county.

Welcome. I shoot mainly ilf recurves. I'm more into competition than hunting. Walking around the tree never made sense to me. Once guys started building platforms I was back in the game. Watch Dave1963 videos on shooting from a platform. I'm puzzled by your arrow choice.....seems extremely weak given your poundage and point weight. Everyone is different, maybe it works for you. Have you tried shooting a bare shaft?

Welcome to the Double Darkside my friend! (Trad and Saddles) I'm with kenn1320 on arrow selection. 290 grains on the front of .600 shaft should be a pasta noodle from that bow. .600 spine with 125 up front tune great for me but only on my bows up to around 45# depending on their center cut.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Welcome. I shoot mainly ilf recurves. I'm more into competition than hunting. Walking around the tree never made sense to me. Once guys started building platforms I was back in the game. Watch Dave1963 videos on shooting from a platform. I'm puzzled by your arrow choice.....seems extremely weak given your poundage and point weight. Everyone is different, maybe it works for you. Have you tried shooting a bare shaft?
Yes my bow is tuned. I shoot ilf platform all summer for 3d so I understand your question. An arrow saw and and an open mind have been my friend. As you said everyone is different and I believe in EFOC. I met a guy at a bow shoot when I first started who turned me on to the ultralights and speed from a light arrow weight/gap shooting aspect. I blended that with what I learned from Bob and 300 point one piece 3 blades he used to use. Then I saw Simmons tree shark videos and made it my own. I have great arrow flight with a very forgiving and accurate longbow. I can’t wait to be able to have an opportunity to check my theory! I went yesterday morning and didn’t see any.
What ILF do you shoot?

Welcome to the Double Darkside my friend! (Trad and Saddles) I'm with kenn1320 on arrow selection. 290 grains on the front of .600 shaft should be a pasta noodle from that bow. .600 spine with 125 up front tune great for me but only on my bows up to around 45# depending on their center cut.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
If someone can post a link on how to post videos and pics I’ll just show you.(IPHONE) I watched a lot of videos with setups like you describe and I see weak penetration. Stabbing of the deer a lot of times with only 8” or so inside the deer. When I see EFOC videos they shoot cleat through the deer with massive blood trails. As I said I’m a shooter not a hunter so I am waiting to actually apply my theory in the field.
From a bow tuning standpoint I can see how it would appear. Over the years I’ve experimented with all types of shafts from GT ultralights to Victory VAP and everything in between. When bareshafting I like my spine to show slightly nock high and slightly weak and my experience shows me that when I use 3-4” shield cut feathers my complete arrows fly great.
I shoot a 54” 45# Morrison mini ILF with MAX 3 limbs and a 60” 52# Morrison Dakota longbow with the same arrow. I’m shooting this longbow because my wife bought it for me but I’m going back to my ILF because of the agility I get with such a short bow. Bob was telling me about the new Max 6 limb prototypes and the crazy speed and sound levels and I’m excited to upgrade my 3’s in the future when the budget allows.

If someone can post a link on how to post videos and pics I’ll just show you.(IPHONE) I watched a lot of videos with setups like you describe and I see weak penetration. Stabbing of the deer a lot of times with only 8” or so inside the deer. When I see EFOC videos they shoot cleat through the deer with massive blood trails. As I said I’m a shooter not a hunter so I am waiting to actually apply my theory in the field.
From a bow tuning standpoint I can see how it would appear. Over the years I’ve experimented with all types of shafts from GT ultralights to Victory VAP and everything in between. When bareshafting I like my spine to show slightly nock high and slightly weak and my experience shows me that when I use 3-4” shield cut feathers my complete arrows fly great.

I definitely believe you and there are many ways to skin a cat but my approach is slightly different than yours due to the type of shooting that we do....I think? I have no experience with ILF, as I'm a hunter that shoots some 3D and that's it. I have learned a few things along that way that you allude to in your post and that come into play here. 1. Carbon arrows recover quickly from paradox and 2. shortening them stiffens the crap out of them....quickly! 3. Center cut of the bow has a major impact on what arrow can be shot successfully and 4. Feathers hide a lot of arrow problems :)

Honestly, I've never bought into the EFOC hype bc it addresses a non existent problem, at least in my setup on whitetail deer. What it does do is mess with my head bc it changes the trajectory of the arrow drastically when you load the front. You mention the advantages of a light arrow setup from a speed/gap perspective but 550 grains is not a light arrow. I shoot 9-10 grains per pound of bow weight and bury my arrows to the feathers on deer so I see no need go heavier. I don't need the arrow to stick in the ground, just make an exit hole. I can tell that you like messing with your trad setups as much as I do so I'm just sharing my experiences in an effort to possibly help someone else along the way.

Back