• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello

Jason79

Hello to everyone, does anyone live around the mason dixon line, md/pa area. I would like to meet some people who are serious about hunting an also anyone who knows how to correctly tune a bow. I know a lot will say it doesn’t need to be done but I want to paper an then nock tune my bow. I bought it from a shop in harford co md an when I returned to pick it up found out they set it to the wrong poundage. they told me it was ok an wouldn’t affect anything by “just need to tighten it up” ?!? From the little I know u can’t just adjust a modern bow from 55 to 75 pounds(Mathew’s vxr) an have it still tuned to the arrows I bought. I don’t want to even return to the place because I don’t believe they actually care. I Won’t say their name unless told I can. And to really seal the deal while I waited for him to find my bow(yes really) my nephews eye catches the fish tank holding bait an of course the kid asks to come closer. Keep in mind it’s fifteen feet behind him an he says sure let him finish up,, of course no problem. After handing me the bow he turns an starts walking off, I asked nicely(maybe he forgot, guy working was older) if my nephew can get a closer look because they were jumbo Minnie’s an the nephew loves fishing,, he says no he’s kinda busy an starts goin thru the mail!! Almost 2,000 when it was all complete an that’s the 2nd an last time I go there! Any help would be welcomed!

I’m right across the line in Airville, PA. I think I know which shop you are referring to and while I had good service there a few years ago when I bought my current bow I have heard their service has declined. My first choice would be to take it to Lancaster Archery and have the setup checked/corrected. Their service is top notch and I won’t go anywhere else now. Extreme Archery in York is another option but I don’t have a lot of experience with them other than using the range there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m right across the line in Airville, PA. I think I know which shop you are referring to and while I had good service there a few years ago when I bought my current bow I have heard their service has declined. My first choice would be to take it to Lancaster Archery and have the setup checked/corrected. Their service is top notch and I won’t go anywhere else now. Extreme Archery in York is another option but I don’t have a lot of experience with them other than using the range there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve heard they were good, have u been over on the state game lands towards the river

Welcome from Pennsylvania. We are having a Pennsylvania meet up in Lancaster on April 9 if you are not aware already. What I have found with most bow shops is either they do not know enough to properly tune a bow or they themselves do not think it is necessary. There is a shop up here in the Annville PA area which is very knowledgeable and take the time to do things correctly which I have not found at other shops locally

good luck and maybe we will see you on April 9. If you need more details let us know

Welcome from WNY. That is frustrating to be sure. I can't believe Matthews would associate with a dealership that treats its customers like this. I agree with the other advice given, seek out a knowledgeable shop elsewhere, explain what your frustrations are and focus less on the shop you were at and more on getting your bow tuned properly.

Hello, I am also from Airville, PA. I would definitely contact Mathews directly and make them aware of the service you received. Lancaster Archery is your best bet in that area for future needs. Once my schedule opens up in the next few months, I may be able to help with tuning.

Welcome from Pennsylvania. We are having a Pennsylvania meet up in Lancaster on April 9 if you are not aware already. What I have found with most bow shops is either they do not know enough to properly tune a bow or they themselves do not think it is necessary. There is a shop up here in the Annville PA area which is very knowledgeable and take the time to do things correctly which I have not found at other shops locally

good luck and maybe we will see you on April 9. If you need more details let us know
Thank you I will definitely look both up

Welcome from Mississippi! I hope you get you bow issues sorted out.
Thank you

Hello, I am also from Airville, PA. I would definitely contact Mathews directly and make them aware of the service you received. Lancaster Archery is your best bet in that area for future needs. Once my schedule opens up in the next few months, I may be able to help with tuning.
I am gonna make time

Welcome from WNY. That is frustrating to be sure. I can't believe Matthews would associate with a dealership that treats its customers like this. I agree with the other advice given, seek out a knowledgeable shop elsewhere, explain what your frustrations are and focus less on the shop you were at and more on getting your bow tuned properly.
Thank you that’s what I’m trying to focus off moving forward

You can go the DIY route too and find a buddy with a press and work it out that way if you're needing some tinkering. Or, if you have some extra $$$ go down the home bow shop rabbit hole and learn yourself. But I agree, you spent hard earned cash on a bow, arrows and accessories at that shop.... you're not just buying a bow you're also buying the service associated with setting it up. I've witnesses some shops get frustrated with people who procrastinate and go to the bow shop just before bow season and want all kinds of work done..... meanwhile the shop is trying to make a living selling bows and gear...... and you have a line of guys with bows they bought from other places getting upset because the shop owner is trying to sell the bows he stocks to the people who cared enough to go to his shop and buy his inventory. Most good shops could care less about the bow you have but know that if they have a guy waiting to spend $2K on a new system compared to a guy that needs a new peep installed and served in, they're going to spend the time with dude waiting on two big bills to flush down the toilet.

Back