• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello.

theron.hall

I'm hunting just south of the white mountains in central New Hampshire.
I stumbled across saddle hunting in my Youtube feed and was perplexed by the whole thing.

As I figured out what a saddle was and how it was used, my curiosity was peaked.

I'm a big guy and although I have no problem going in with my extra heavy Summit Goliath and getting up the tree, I sweat like crazy, so the light weight tree saddle holds a lot of appeal for me.

Having been a DIY guy, with several camping hammocks and accessory gear under my belt, there is even more appeal.

I can't wait to get started.

T

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you on the forum. I'm a first year saddle hunter figuring things out as I go, it's a blast though. You'll find tons of great resources here, and great people...and probably go broke! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome welcome! My family has a small cabin up there, I LOVE New Hampshire!!! I'll be up there the end of July into August if you wana try and meet up, I don't have any of the fancy stuff, but I can show you want I've got which is a few different climbing methods, SRT, XOP Hand climber, WE Stepps, and I just found a set of Muddy Pro's!

I also recommend reading through the new saddle hunter section if you haven't already, link below, Glossary and Noobie Advice/Info.
http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?forums/saddle-information-for-new-users.28/

Good Luck!

I'm hunting just south of the white mountains in central New Hampshire.
I stumbled across saddle hunting in my Youtube feed and was perplexed by the whole thing.

As I figured out what a saddle was and how it was used, my curiosity was peaked.

I'm a big guy and although I have no problem going in with my extra heavy Summit Goliath and getting up the tree, I sweat like crazy, so the light weight tree saddle holds a lot of appeal for me.

Having been a DIY guy, with several camping hammocks and accessory gear under my belt, there is even more appeal.

I can't wait to get started.

T

Welcome from Michigan.

I decided shortly after this post that I couldn't pull it off in time this year. Season starts September 15th here and i bought a new bow, release, arrows, broad heads. I've changed up almost everything, but my tree stand. I feel like I changed everything else in adequate time to train with it for the season, but the treestands to a saddle change would be huge and with less than a couple months to mess with it, I decided to put it off a bit.
With all that being said, I made a tether with a locking carabiner, a lineman's belt, and purchased a sit drag to modify to give it a whirl.
Today I set up the back yard a few inches from feet touching and shot from it. It was great! I can see practice will be key, because it feels way different, but in 3 rounds of two shots, I went from, "Oh thank god I got the bag!" To 4 inch groups.
I'll be swinging by next season for sure!

G2 is right. A couple of practice sessions from the saddle and its an easy conversion especially if your already a tree stand hunter and are comfortable being off the ground. I'm all in. This will be my first season hunting from the saddle. I bought the kestrel and liked it so much I bought Gregs Whole Mantis pkg. My hunting partner is a stubborn old goat and says I'm too old to be swinging from ropes like Tarzan. But after attending a saddle meeting near my home with peterk1234 I saw the light. Petes the MAN with his inventions. Anyway I'm a self filmer and after 5 neck and back operations I needed to lighten my gear in order to be able to continue to hunt and film. The saddle seems like the way to go to reach my objective. Been deer hunting from trees since 1972. I'm 62 years young I hope.

I'd love to really, but funding is a little tight right now as well. I still need to finish the mods and figure out what sort of platform and climbing system I will use. I'll probably be in one by November and using my apex hammock under quilt as a jacket.

So I came into a little more cash unexpectedly and I have made my tether and lineman's belt. I have a sit n drag, now I'm thinking of Wild edge steps.

What do wild edge users think about the system? Any one out there have any good feedback for me?

Thanks!

So I came into a little more cash unexpectedly and I have made my tether and lineman's belt. I have a sit n drag, now I'm thinking of Wild edge steps.

What do wild edge users think about the system? Any one out there have any good feedback for me?

Thanks!

That’s basically the system that I’m using! Add in the insider/swaider combo and I’m using a plywood platform on a primal step to top it off. You might not find the Sit Drag to be comfortable but I find it sufficient.

Back