• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

help me pick my next rifle

Dmathews87

I know im about to open a can of worms here,but lets do it.....in the market for a new bolt action. I have pretty much already decided i want a 270 for an all around do everything round, however through research and going down the rabbit hole im also considering 308 or 6.5 creed as both of these are more readily available, aside for ammo for the 6.5. ballistic wise from what i can gather the 270 wins with its velocity and flatter trajectory. Im only hunting whitetail here in Se La and would keep most shots within 100-150 yards...offer me your opinions and insight please

Last edited:
Id go 270 myself out of the 3. It shoots terrifically flat with 130 gr. And you can load it with 150s to keep meat loss down at closer ranges. It is used way more frequently to kill bigger game such as moose and elk than one would think. The cartridge has a fascinating history and will be out for 100 years next year.
A Winchester model 70 in 270 is about as cool as it gets

When I did gun hunt before becoming thoroughly addicted to the bow, I liked a 30-06, still do. That said, of the two you mentioned, a 270 would get my vote. It would shoot plenty flat, and you can generally find cartridges at any mom and pop place that sells shells from Key West to Anchorage.

When I did gun hunt before becoming thoroughly addicted to the bow, I liked a 30-06, still do. That said, of the two you mentioned, a 270 would get my vote. It would shoot plenty flat, and you can generally find cartridges at any mom and pop place that sells shells from Key West to Anchorage.
if i didnt already have a 35 whelen, i would consider the 30 06 more...the 35 whelen is just a bit beefier 30 06....and kicks like a mule with a bad attitude lol.

if i didnt already have a 35 whelen, i would consider the 30 06 more...the 35 whelen is just a bit beefier 30 06....and kicks like a mule with a bad attitude lol.
Yes, the 35 Whelen punches above its weight on game for sure. It is very similar to the German 9.3x62mm, which was brought out to compete with the 375 H&H Magnum in Africa. It's my understanding Colonel Townsend Whelen had that in mind when he helped design the 35 Whelen. It would fit in a 30-06 length action and a 375 would not. At the time, long actions were hard to come by and very expensive. So, if you already have a 35 Whelen a 270 would be a good "smaller caliber" and plenty for deer.

Nothing to add other than consider ammo availability. I was debating a .270 a year ago but ended up going 300win mag for a dual purpose (chances at a brown bear encounter) gun. Very much overkill for a small deer. Seems like you can walk into almost any store and find .30-06, generally the same is true for .270 in my limited experience, but some other calibers aren't always on the shelf. (For times like an out of state or out of your normal area where you forget to pack some and have to visit the local sporting goods store to grab a box instead of driving all the way home etc). May be something that never happens, but going with a popular caliber seems to have it's benefits. Ammo production shortages are also something I don't fully understand but seem to have factored in for some calibers more than others in the last few years. Otherwise it's all pretty much a wash on whitetails, heck there's a large group that advocates .223 is fine for deer with the right shot placement so any of the calibers mentioned would be fine.

Nothing to add other than consider ammo availability. I was debating a .270 a year ago but ended up going 300win mag for a dual purpose (chances at a brown bear encounter) gun. Very much overkill for a small deer. Seems like you can walk into almost any store and find .30-06, generally the same is true for .270 in my limited experience, but some other calibers aren't always on the shelf. (For times like an out of state or out of your normal area where you forget to pack some and have to visit the local sporting goods store to grab a box instead of driving all the way home etc). May be something that never happens, but going with a popular caliber seems to have it's benefits. Ammo production shortages are also something I don't fully understand but seem to have factored in for some calibers more than others in the last few years. Otherwise it's all pretty much a wash on whitetails, heck there's a large group that advocates .223 is fine for deer with the right shot placement so any of the calibers mentioned would be fine.
good point and one of the reasons im considering the 308, both the rifle and ammo are pretty available around here. 270 can be hit or miss, 6.5 good luck most the time.

my first rifle was an old 270. Great gun, took my first deer with it plus many other deer. Still have it but its got firing pin issues now. Rather than get it fixed, I decided to switch to a 308. 2 reasons: one, factory ammo availability for both hunting loads and fmj practice loads and two, updated bullet technology. A lot of new bullet makers either dont make projectiles for 270 or they only make 1 or 2 offerings. Where 30 cal projectiles the sky is the limit. You have so many bullet weight and bullet type choices. I reload now, and the 30 cal options compared to .277 options are literally 100 to 1. No real wrong answer here. But just letting you know I was a die hard 270 guy and now im firmly in the 308 category. Also my wife shoots a 6.5 and that one has a lot of merits too!

Last edited:
Rem 700 sps chambered in 270. End of story. A year ago I purchased my first rifle for deer myself. My 1st was a gift and it was a ruger mk77 in 308. I had the same debate with myself before this purchase, here in LA as I assume everywhere the old hats always stood by 30-06 or 308 for a good deer rifle. After polling a lot of people who are regular rifle hunters between all the 7mags the 308’s, 30-30’s 30-06’s etc. etc. here in LA the 270 is the best downing to damage ratio I’ve found and with the 270 you get something the others can’t give you right off the shelf. VERY flat shooting I’ve said before the 270 is like a 308 and a 5.56 had a baby. They’re all good but unless you plan on killing Bear or moose (which either I would have no qualms about shooting with a 270) I’d say most people just need a 270. But ultimately to each his own this is my .02.

Last edited:
few references for the winchesters and remingtons (for obvious reasons) no love for bergara?? I see CVA making bolt actions as well they look very nice...

I wouldn't get a long action cartridge for close range deer.

Just like vehicle horsepower (to get noticeably faster than a Corvette you have to add a lot of horsepower compared to you'll notice adding 30 hp to a Honda Civic), you have to keep adding greater amounts of powder for fewer gains. The short action cartridges are almost as powerful (at least adequately so) with less recoil and lower decibels.

People hate on the 6.5 CM for odd reasons, but I'd say it is a very good deer round. Just don't pick a match bullet for hunting.

At that range you’ve got a lot of options! .308 is plentiful and could be easily found compared to the other two. 270 is flat, but once again at that range, I wouldn’t worry too much. As for 6.5, it will be lighter in recoil and being a smaller framed guy myself, I prefer it.

If you're really sure you're going to be shooting 150 yards and in, I'd give a long hard look at .300 BLK suppressed. That packs plenty of punch for whitetails at that range, and you'll be virtually undetected by neighbors and anyone else in the woods.
If you're considering longer ranges or thinking about maybe elk hunting one day, I give a strong recommendation for my Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .30-06 (my specific model is the Weatherguard Bronze, which is bronze cerakoted and has a threaded barrel to house a suppressor--heck of a setup for $800-ish). With .30-06, you can shoot the "light recoil" ammo for whitetails if you want, and it'll kick comparably to a .243, or you can beef it up and knock down an elk at 400+ yards.
With the Vanguard line of rifles, Weatherby guarantees sub-MOA accuracy out of the box with any match-grade ammo, which is pretty awesome, too. They offer it in a bunch of different calibers, so you can pick whatever you like best.
The Tikka T3X LITE is also very highly regarded, especially if you're going with a lower-recoil caliber like .270 or .243.
Hope this helps!

At that range you’ve got a lot of options! .308 is plentiful and could be easily found compared to the other two. 270 is flat, but once again at that range, I wouldn’t worry too much. As for 6.5, it will be lighter in recoil and being a smaller framed guy myself, I prefer it.
recoil is one of my deciding factors for the 6.5...not that i mind it, but i also wouldnt mind less for accuracy. plan on going to big box store today and look again at what ammo offerings are

If you're really sure you're going to be shooting 150 yards and in, I'd give a long hard look at .300 BLK suppressed. That packs plenty of punch for whitetails at that range, and you'll be virtually undetected by neighbors and anyone else in the woods.
If you're considering longer ranges or thinking about maybe elk hunting one day, I give a strong recommendation for my Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .30-06 (my specific model is the Weatherguard Bronze, which is bronze cerakoted and has a threaded barrel to house a suppressor--heck of a setup for $800-ish). With .30-06, you can shoot the "light recoil" ammo for whitetails if you want, and it'll kick comparably to a .243, or you can beef it up and knock down an elk at 400+ yards.
With the Vanguard line of rifles, Weatherby guarantees sub-MOA accuracy out of the box with any match-grade ammo, which is pretty awesome, too. They offer it in a bunch of different calibers, so you can pick whatever you like best.
The Tikka T3X LITE is also very highly regarded, especially if you're going with a lower-recoil caliber like .270 or .243.
Hope this helps!
I know someone using the suppressed 300 and you're right, its super cool!

recoil is one of my deciding factors for the 6.5...not that i mind it, but i also wouldnt mind less for accuracy. plan on going to big box store today and look again at what ammo offerings are
If you live in a nice place and can buy ammo online and have it shipped to you, you’ll have no problem finding 6.5!

It’s interesting the comments about lack of 6.5CM availability, that’s the opposite of my experience in both WI and VA. The only time I saw it picked over at all was when I stopped at Fleet Farm the night before rifle season opened, but that was the case for almost every popular cartridge.

Second the comment about buying online - I will very rarely purchase individual boxes of ammo from a store, I buy it all by the case online to keep lot numbers consistent across boxes. I have two 6.5CMs and they both like Hornady Precision Hunter, online I’ve been able to find it at least $5 cheaper (often $10) per box than in a store.

The lack of recoil of the 6.5 is probably my favorite aspect. I even have brakes on mine, putting them both somewhere in the single digit ft/lbs of recoil. The specific brakes I have can be tuned to reduce or entirely eliminate muzzle rise as well making it easy to spot your own shots through the scope.

It’s interesting the comments about lack of 6.5CM availability, that’s the opposite of my experience in both WI and VA. The only time I saw it picked over at all was when I stopped at Fleet Farm the night before rifle season opened, but that was the case for almost every popular cartridge.

Second the comment about buying online - I will very rarely purchase individual boxes of ammo from a store, I buy it all by the case online to keep lot numbers consistent across boxes. I have two 6.5CMs and they both like Hornady Precision Hunter, online I’ve been able to find it at least $5 cheaper (often $10) per box than in a store.
interesting for sure...i know the 6.5 around here is super popular and seems like you can only buy that rifle and 308 most times at stores so maybe that accounts for the ammo difference??

Back