• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

help me with buck setups

Dmathews87

Just got back from a trip and saw a handful of deer, mostly does and a couple younger bucks. I ran into a similar situation on this trip as i did last year some where else and managed to get a sighting of a massive shooter buck...heres my dilemma:

I find fresh scrapes, at least one still has pee in it and can see scratch marks in the dirt. fresh rubs in the very near vicinity. In this years trip these scrapes are right outside the perimeter of thick doe bedding areas and follows parallel to a creek. found this Saturday evening, came back Sunday morning and noticed another scrape 10 yards from the first ones i found so he made it in the night\very early morning. When i found this stuff i did keep scouting around looking for more scrapes near another thicket that may have been buck bedding but nothing worth noting was found. I ran out of time as i couldnt hunt that evening and feel like i was on his heels (wish i found this spot sooner,but hey, thats hunting) So my question is this: What would you have done in this exact situation? What are you looking for? Where are you setting up? Im really trying to join this mature buck killing club...

I would have set up and hope for the best as long as your wind wasn’t blowing into the bedding or suspected location of most deer travel. I’ve just too often in the past felt like I needed to see more and sometimes we forget that deer are only making sign like rubs and scrapes a small percentage of their daily time. The rest they are traveling eating and bedding and breeding.

I would have set up and hope for the best as long as your wind wasn’t blowing into the bedding or suspected location of most deer travel. I’ve just too often in the past felt like I needed to see more and sometimes we forget that deer are only making sign like rubs and scrapes a small percentage of their daily time. The rest they are traveling eating and bedding and breeding.
wind was good. I did setup not too far off. Nutall acorns were almost covering the entire forest floor so food wasnt scarce...the spot i picked looked like they were browsing there more dominantly....

Back