• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help!!! My sticks are driving me crazy

Zddog

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to figure out a better method to carry my climbing sticks. I have tried multiple methods, but every method is cumbersome. I currently have my muddy hang on strap attached to one of my muddy sticks and carry them on my one shoulder, but they continue to slide off my shoulder. I've thought about just buying a webbing strap and making it into a sling. Has anyone tried this method. I currently am taking a backpack into the woods (I've tired in the past backpack and no backpack I like the idea of taking my backpack). Earlier this year I thought about trying just trying the webbing climbing method like the DIY sportsman guy had on his website, but haven't had time to experiment with it.
314bcef7b875a240ff704dd07239682d.jpg
d9622f0a95f02669b65c65e3243f568b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 muddy sticks are my platform and the 3 lone wolf steps are my climbing sticks

I have had good luck using the strap with a cam buckle that came with some ameristeps to hold my sticks tight to my pack. I use two straps, one high and one low. So far it has worked and then I use the same straps to hang my gear from the tree.

The 2 muddy sticks are my platform and the 3 lone wolf steps are my climbing sticks

Seems like your platform choice is adding to your problem, not helping it. I use the xop I-beam and seat combo. The added weight of the I-beam is justified by its usefulness as a stick cradle.

Seems like your platform choice is adding to your problem, not helping it. I use the xop I-beam and seat combo. The added weight of the I-beam is justified by its usefulness as a stick cradle.

I agree. 5 sticks is a lot to carry in and set up. Check out something like the alps packs that have the pouch that comes out of the bottom and built in straps to carry a bow. I use that to carry my sticks and just carry my bow in hand. Will try to upload a pic of the pack. Can't remember which alps pack it is.

They have a couple like this. The other I think is the pathfinder but that one seems a bit bulky and doesn't have much structure where it folds up into a giant fanny pack. I have both and prefer this one. I use a big nite ize gear tie to keep the sticks together then strap them in using the straps built into the pack. The material on the back is stretchy like spandex. Have carried 3 of the big muddy aerolite sticks and one of the muddy pros like this with no issues.

http://www.fieldsupply.com/general-...doorz-pursuit-bow-hunting-day-pack-moinf.html

aecd5ac139570e8487c638fa3724433f.jpg

Carries all I need with room to spare. All my gear is inside it in the picture

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

I use an old backpack, but the sticks take up at least 1/3 of the total volume. I have JUST enough room to fit the aiders, linesman belt, 2 water bottles, and a trail camera. This setup puts the top of the sticks at head height, so if I can walk upright under it, it shouldn't catch. Any time I have to bend over, duck, lean, etc... I will inevitably get hung up.
83dd7e05b4ae1ab2be02044ecc6c415d.jpg

I use the Alps Pursuit pack with the built in bow/rifle holder. Sticks go in it. Works great.

hi new member. Been hunting out of a saddle and sticks for 6 years now

Ive tried carrying sticks a lot of ways, but my current set up is easiest on my back so far. Mabye it will help others too.

I use these endless loop style bungees to lash everything together. You could use about anything I imagine, but the bungees are quick.

5 LW sticks, ameristeps on ratchet strap. Bow/gun along with smaller junk go in my eberlstock slingshot pack.

I start of by lashing two pair of sticks together

Then by turning the pairs opposite eachother and fitting in that fifth wherever it fits I can make a decent bundle with a couple more bungees around the entire thing.

Then I tuck the ends of my platform straps under bungees and wrap up the loose strap

The bungees also create nice little handles out of your tree straps.

I carried the sticks like this all of last year and still do in the thick stuff, but this year I added a couple extra carabiners. Hook them right up to the bungees or whatever lashing.

And then hook those up to the backpack shoulder webbing

Its pretty crazy how much lighter this feels to me than the numerous setups Ive tried on my back. Better weight distribution or maybe its just me and my screwed up back.
Still its a wide profile so I use it when I on those long road/field walks or in open woods.

I have the shoulder straps from Strapworks. They work great but my sticks don't pack up easily. I don't like carrying them

hi new member. Been hunting out of a saddle and sticks for 6 years now

Ive tried carrying sticks a lot of ways, but my current set up is easiest on my back so far. Mabye it will help others too.

I use these endless loop style bungees to lash everything together. You could use about anything I imagine, but the bungees are quick.

5 LW sticks, ameristeps on ratchet strap. Bow/gun along with smaller junk go in my eberlstock slingshot pack.

I start of by lashing two pair of sticks together

Then by turning the pairs opposite eachother and fitting in that fifth wherever it fits I can make a decent bundle with a couple more bungees around the entire thing.

Then I tuck the ends of my platform straps under bungees and wrap up the loose strap

The bungees also create nice little handles out of your tree straps.

I carried the sticks like this all of last year and still do in the thick stuff, but this year I added a couple extra carabiners. Hook them right up to the bungees or whatever lashing.

And then hook those up to the backpack shoulder webbing

Its pretty crazy how much lighter this feels to me than the numerous setups Ive tried on my back. Better weight distribution or maybe its just me and my screwed up back.
Still its a wide profile so I use it when I on those long road/field walks or in open woods.

I like the weight distribution, but as thick of areas as I hunt... I'd never make it in!

I would look into a 'universal carry strap'. I own several of these and have a set for my sticks. I haven't used my sticks since last season but when I did the strap was nice to have. You can cinch your sticks tight to each other and then have a nice shoulder strap to carry with. Of course I sometimes strapped them onto my pack as well (after they were cinched tight the the carry strap) - a tenzing 2200 with a rifle/bow boot that did extra duty as a stick holder. I could keep them relatively upright and the weight distributed OK this way. Sometimes they wanted to fall to one side or the other. I also tried using the straps on the bottom to carry them in, which worked great, until you have to shimmy through some brush or a couple of trees sideways because your sticks are too wide.

I don't envy you guys who carry your sticks in and out each time, but I understand it's a necessary evil depending on your hunting situation.

aecd5ac139570e8487c638fa3724433f.jpg

Carries all I need with room to spare. All my gear is inside it in the picture

Sent from my
At 20' up

When I climb I just sling it over one shoulder on to my back. When I climb to the top of a stick I will bring it to my lap and get the next stick.
The don't snag on anything this way either

Sent from my
At 20' up

I use those same yellow bungees on my sticks. They work great.

There is no great way to carry sticks. I've tried near about every method you can think of. The best for my style of hunting is strapping them in my pack. My second favorite method is the universal carry strap over 1 shoulder.

f401b9595f10dd70e8f5c8be6abd54de.jpg

99d8f72f41dbc448e4b17ae0abebbb13.jpg

I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Just carrying it like a briefcase.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great discussion guys and great ideas. G2 I think the sling might be the easiest thing to do especially since I don't want to buy another pack, but I love the idea of carrying the sticks in the front with the carabiners

Back