• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help on getting started on reloading

Newhunter1

SH Member
I've been thinking about getting started on reloading once the ammo insanity ends (hopefully soon). I'd like to reload for my .308, .223/556, 12/20 gauge, 7.62x54, 9mm and .45.

Is there a reloading machine that will do all of the ammo above or do I have to get die's for each caliber? I have zero knowledge or equipment. My only thing is that when I decide to do something I learn all about it and I want to start down this road.

Dies for each and a different press for the shot gun...I have lee loader and a RCBS the lee is functional and budget friendly check out midway USA

Dies for each, if you want to do any quantity look into a progressive press such as Dillon. The main issue right now is finding powder, primers, projectiles.

Dies for each, if you want to do any quantity look into a progressive press such as Dillon. The main issue right now is finding powder, primers, projectiles.

Dies for each and a different press for the shot gun...I have lee loader and a RCBS the lee is functional and budget friendly check out midway USA

I understand that I'll need dies for each, but is there just one machine that will load the dies...

The Lee Reloading book is worth the price. I figured start at 308. Midway has free shipping over $49 mostly and the best prices overall.
IMHO, it's not worth it to load shotgun shells with a box about $5 to $6 at Walmart.

Last edited:
The Lee Reloading book is worth the price.

Thanks...this is now in my cart along with a grain scale for weight loading

Now...I guess the dies takes out the old primer and resets the new one? Correct?

I understand that I'll need dies for each, but is there just one machine that will load the dies...
I am not aware of any press that will do rifle/pistol as well as shotgun. Pretty sure you would need a separate press for the shotgun. Everything else could be done in one press provided you have the dies for the caliber. Midwayusa is plenty good for picking up random reloading kits. If you want to buy once/cry once with something like a Dillon, Scheels.com is probably your best bet because they ship for free. I have a Dillon 550 and its very capable and Dillion has lifetime warranty and great customer service. I however started on a relatively cheap Lee press.

Now...I guess the dies takes out the old primer and resets the new one? Correct?
I added some items to my last post based on availability. I like Lee products and I like the turret press but the breech lock press will be quick to change dies so should work good. Screwing and unscrewing dies is more of a PITA than it seems at first. The breech lock works great.

you will need all sorts of accessories, such as scale, calipers, tumbler to clean your brass, trimmers, and on and on. It really can be a deep rabbit hole but some of the basics are a must.

I used to shoot bullseye pistol and would shoot about 100 rounds a week. I used a Lee Progressive 1000 which worked great for 45 and 38 special. If you are shooting a lot you will appreciate a progressive. The Dillon was about $550 years ago and the Lee was around $120 so I went with Lee and had minimal problems.

Last edited:
Chronograph and a up to date reloading manual and read ALL of the safety stuff....ALL OF IT

The Lee powder measure is worth it to have. If you only load at 10% below maximum you don't even need a powder scale. 10% below maximum powder charge is much more pleasant to shoot and most times the best precision is around there. It is all in the Lee book.

if you load just slugs or turkey loads yo dot need a press, just components & a roll crimper, Mike

if you load just slugs or turkey loads yo dot need a press, just components & a roll crimper, Mike

I go through a lot of 12/20 guage as me and my two sons are in trap shooting. So that will be the next purchase.

As far as getting started...this is what I have in my midway cart.

1. Lee Breech Lock Press Ram Prime Priming Unit
2. Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press
3. Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 308 Winchester
4. Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised Reloading Manual
5. National Metallic Digital Powder Scale 1600 Grain Capacity
6. Hornady InterLock Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 150 Grain Spire Point with Cannelure Box of 100

What powder should I use for rifle and pistol? Can you use the same powder for the handgun/rifle? What else am I missing? So far, if I make this purchase then that is 167.94 which to me isn't bad at all. Just need shells and primers (which ones should I look at for .308?

Back