• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help? Pfaff sewing machine

Marmuzz

Looking for some input on this sewing machine. This was my wife's grandmother's machine, who gave it to her. My wife didn't really ever use it, but a few years ago I was sewing a hem in some heavier fleece material and it sounded like the motor wore out; it wouldn't drive the needle anymore. (I ran it too hard, maybe?) I know almost nothing about sewing machines, much less their mechanicals. At that time, my wife reworked the bobbin to make sure it wasn't a thread feed issue but the issue persisted. Now we're moving, trying to decide if we keep it.

Does anyone know are parts for these still made, and or do sewing machine shops repair these models? If so, is it worth having it repaired compared to buying a different machine?

(We don't really sew, but if it did work I probably would tinker with hunting projects- nothing heavy like making a saddle, just misc. mods in clothes or lightweight materials.)

Here's what I can see on it:

Pfaff Hobbymatic 807
Type 807 80 W 0 8 A
Machine # 31485936

Attachments

• IMG_9832.jpeg
    IMG_9832.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9833.jpeg
    IMG_9833.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 8
Can you turn the hand wheel freely? And needle moves up and down as it should when you do so? If so, the issue is probably related to the motor.

Is the motor making any sound when engaged? If yes, it could be a drive system issue. Most machines use a belt to transfer energy from motor to the shaft. Belt could be broken or bound up. Some machines use a friction drive where a rubber disc spins against the shaft. They can wear out or break down.

You will have to open up the machine housing to investigate. Typically motor is on the back right side of the machine

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yes the hand wheel turns freely, needle moves properly. Motor makes a weak buzzing noise when pedal is engaged. The needle is then unresponsive.

Yes the hand wheel turns freely, needle moves properly. Motor makes a weak buzzing noise when pedal is engaged. The needle is then unresponsive.
Yep I'd open her up. If you remove the belt and motor still won't do anything, motor is probably toast. Should be inexpensive to get a replacement. Likely do not need one specific to the machine. But maybe.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The motor should have carbon brushes connected to a spring. The carbon brushes push against a commutator. The brushes wear down and may need to be replaced. Also the commutator probably needs to be cleaned.

Carbon brushes are only a couple bucks. Below is one video on brushes and commutator.

I would try that first before spending money on a new motor. I did that for an old Singer 237 before I ended up buying industrial machines with brushless servo motors. I would think all domestic sewing machine motors have brushes.

Last edited:
The motor should have carbon brushes connected to a spring. The carbon brushes push against a commutator. The brushes wear down and may need to be replaced. Also the commutator probably needs to be cleaned.

Carbon brushes are only a couple bucks. Below is one video on brushes and commutator.

I would try that first before spending money on a new motor. I did that for an old Singer 237 before I ended up buying industrial machines with brushless servo motors. I would think all domestic sewing machine motors have brushes.
So on that, I called a repairman who said kinda this same thing. He said because the manufacturer is no longer in business you cannot replace the motor outright, and for whatever reason the brush replacement is 50/50. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails a week later burning up soft brushes and spitting out dirt. He made it clear he could try but no guarantees- but with his rates it’d be around $150. I don’t think he was pulling one over on me, just that he has not had good experiences working on Pfaffs. I thought for that much I could get a new machine or a used better machine which can be reliably be repaired.

So on that, I called a repairman who said kinda this same thing. He said because the manufacturer is no longer in business you cannot replace the motor outright, and for whatever reason the brush replacement is 50/50. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails a week later burning up soft brushes and spitting out dirt. He made it clear he could try but no guarantees- but with his rates it’d be around $150. I don’t think he was pulling one over on me, just that he has not had good experiences working on Pfaffs. I thought for that much I could get a new machine or a used better machine which can be reliably be repaired.

I would never pay $150. Checking the brushes is free, replacing them is less than $10 and cleaning the commutator is free. Worst case, you break something. The machine is inoperable now, so no loss.

If you don’t get it back working, vintage domestic machines can be had cheap on FBMP.

Here’s one possibly close to you
Straight and zig zag and left / center / right needle position for $25

Good luck.

Here is a free necchi supernova

Back