• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with Aider Idea

Jajtner01

I've been looking at attaching either aiders or 18" climbing slings to the bottom of my climing sticks with the intent of using less equipment per tree. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the straps to not blow in the wind. I'm new to the saddle hunting but when I was using tree stands in the past I'm the type of person that is anal enough to wrap and tie all straps on climbing stick and treestands so nothing blows when it's windy. I'm not sure if deer will even notice that in the first place but I never wanted to take the chance. I have no examples of when I didn't secure a strap and a deer spooked, but I feel like a blowing strap can draw attention.

If anyone has any idea on how to keep the straps in place that would be really appreciation.

Also, if anyone knows when my Mantis will ship that would be great too. I'm hoping it beats the September 1st opener here.

Would using an aider that you take up with you on each step/stick be an option? Attached to your foot maybe, so it wouldn’t fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my idea, but I don’t remember where I first saw it so I can’t give the credit where it is do... but I’m going to try putting the aider on the top step of my stick and bring it up with me as I go. When I’m on the bottom step I can easily reach the aider because it’s on the top step. That way you only need one aider and don’t have to worry about it blowing in the wind. It also seems more stable on the top step. Less chance of the stick accidentally kicking out.

Haven't learned how to share a video from YouTube but check out Foot cinch/climbing stick aider vid by Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup. Others on here have had experiences where bucks saw aider blowing in the wind and turned and changed course and left the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was one of them that had a couple decent bucks veer off course due to movement in climbing aiders. That is what drove me to come up with a carry up as you go aider to eliminate that. Since then others have tweaked it to make the concept work better for them. I personally do not like a foot cinch on it as it is far easier for me to pull my foot up into a loop then it is to fish for a hanging aider and pull my foot up with the aider. Also, as anyone knows, you often step up initially with left or right foot, but then, depending on tree lean or branches, you might need to use the other foot. But if you want to have the best of both worlds, just add a castration band (cant remember who came up with that) and you can cinch it down when wanted, or keep it open.

Last edited:
So the Foot Cinch Aider seems to be the best choice using sticks, but in my searching I found this as well...

I've been also thinking about removing the steps and using 2 6 foot Black Diamond Aiders so you can move one up, climb 3-4 feet on one, move the other up back and forth.

This was another option I found...

If anyone has tried any of these other methods comments/experiences would be really helpful.

Back