• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with big woods of the south

VanceCollins708

I need help finding deer and turkeys but it’s hard to me to find anything much off satellite maps when everything looks virtually the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamcorey

SH Member
Based on the pic below, I’d start with water source. Walk it and look for sign. When you find where they are coming in to drink, push into the woods a bit and look for more sign. If there’s an obvious food source not shown on the map, that’d be good too.

VanceCollins708

The sooner you learn to use maps to navigate and not to base stand locations off of the better off you'll be. Deer can't read maps. Start walking. Jump deer. Go hunt.
That’s what I do most of the time, I was just curious if anyone had any tips for a sat or topo map to make it easier to find game. It’s not anything like you seen THP do on YouTube because nothing is no where even close to the same

Nutterbuster

Vendor Rep
SH Member
That’s what I do most of the time, I was just curious if anyone had any tips for a sat or topo map to make it easier to find game. It’s not anything like you seen THP do on YouTube because nothing is no where even close to the same

This is an unpopular opinion, but THP has become the thing everybody who likes them hates. It's not a "real" view of hunting. The guys do it full time, edit out the boring stuff, and travel to the best locations available. Same as "conventional" hunting TV, for the most part just with public land. Nothing against them but comparing your hunts to theirs is just gonna leave you upset.

There's a reason they didn't do so hot deer hunting Alabama. The deep south big woods are tough. The best advice I have is to honestly evaluate your hunting ground. If you take a weekend to scout it and don't see a single buck, they're not there. If you can't walk it for a few hours and jump a few does, they're not there. Either lower your expectations or go hunt somewhere that isn't thousands of acres of monoculture.

VanceCollins708

This is an unpopular opinion, but THP has become the thing everybody who likes them hates. It's not a "real" view of hunting. The guys do it full time, edit out the boring stuff, and travel to the best locations available. Same as "conventional" hunting TV, for the most part just with public land. Nothing against them but comparing your hunts to theirs is just gonna leave you upset.

There's a reason they didn't do so hot deer hunting Alabama. The deep south big woods are tough. The best advice I have is to honestly evaluate your hunting ground. If you take a weekend to scout it and don't see a single buck, they're not there. If you can't walk it for a few hours and jump a few does, they're not there. Either lower your expectations or go hunt somewhere that isn't thousands of acres of monoculture.
I like the way you put that. Thank you sir

Tjraley2

SH Member
Homogenous habitat is tough. You can still use topography, access points, and that creek to narrow down your scouting.

When I hunted places more like this, I would pick an area of 100 acres and basically just grid scout the property. Helped me eliminate a lot of bad and eventually I got a really good understanding of the whole property, which will make you more successful.

Growing up hunting in Alabama, I was always told we had a ton of deer. That may be true, but they’re not evenly spread out across the landscape. I moved to Wisconsin this last year. Population is much more evenly distributed.

gumby

SH Member
I hunt this kind of mountain woods in the south, deer can eat, bed and water in a small area and be a mile away the next day doing the same. It is very hard to get a good reading on them but the one thing is for sure the big ones love the ridges and can pick up on you from a long distance and not come back to the area for a long long time. That's why boots on the ground don't help much in the south big woods. I was scouting bout a week ago and found a good food source where it wasn't very much anywhere else and yep they were bedding there also.

raisins

SH Member
I would be looking at topography that will funnel deer movement and provide vantage points for bedding. I would also look at where the easy access is and where humans hunt most and cross that off the map. Then start walking around and taking notes and putting pins on ONX to review later.

PS. I find it is much better to review your pins and figure stuff out by logging into Onx on your computer and then viewing the pins etc you placed using your phone in the field.

Last edited: