• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with E-scouting

CooterBrown

SH Member
I got drawn for an archery only hunt in an Alabama State Park late November. Here is the map of it. I have 3 1/2 days to hunt. I live 2.5 hours away so dont have much time to scout. Any ideas on where the best place to find a mature buck?

1631796295947.pngHelp with e

I got drawn for an archery only hunt in an Alabama State Park late November. Here is the map of it. I have 3 1/2 days to hunt. I live 2.5 hours away so dont have much time to scout. Any ideas on where the best place to find a mature buck?

View attachment 52633Help with e
Congrats on getting drawn. Is this a buck only SOA draw? I’ve camped at Oak Mountain a few times and it’s covered up with deer, not sure the best way to find mature deer among the large amounts of does and other deer. What time of year is your hunt?

Here’s a local guy that got to hunt it last year. I can’t remember if they had any luck but I want to say they saw some good deer.

You could cover a lot of territory with a boat if possible!! I have good luck finding sign in those little coves/bays and equally points overlooking water.

Congrats on getting drawn. Is this a buck only SOA draw? I’ve camped at Oak Mountain a few times and it’s covered up with deer, not sure the best way to find mature deer among the large amounts of does and other deer. What time of year is your hunt?

Here’s a local guy that got to hunt it last year. I can’t remember if they had any luck but I want to say they saw some good deer.
1 buck 3 does. November 29

So I just got a response by email. I can have different guest per day. But only one per day. Ill just have to let you know when if any days are available at a latter date.
What’s your scouting date? Have they told you yet? If I’m free I’d be happy to look at whatever spots you’re interested in and try and get some intel.

I'm usually the a-hole telling people to quit playing on the computer and go walk. So do that thing. But...

That north end of the lake with the little levee between 2 bodies of water is frigging money if there's a trail there. I'd start there. Then check the southern 2 points. I'd walk that whole lake shore and then spread out from there. Shoot, I may take a canoe and fish in the middle of the lake one evening and see what I could see

What’s your scouting date? Have they told you yet? If I’m free I’d be happy to look at whatever spots you’re interested in and try and get some intel.
They dont give dates. The only stipulation is after November 1st you can only scout on the weekends. Before that its anytime.

More I look at it the more I like it. You've got a creek going from the lake to some ag fields across that road. A campground too. Deer love campgrounds.

You should scout it. I got a canoe if you need it. If it's just a state park then nothing to say you can't be on it whenever I'm guessing. I'd be up there this weekend if it was my hunt.

I looked at the area on Huntstand. The south point of the lake (points a little SSE); just to the left of it, there appears to be a hardwood/evergreen edge. This is also close to the campground so the deer may be less skittish... The point of the lake also forms a saddle.... This is where I would start

More I look at it the more I like it. You've got a creek going from the lake to some ag fields across that road. A campground too. Deer love campgrounds.

You should scout it. I got a canoe if you need it. If it's just a state park then nothing to say you can't be on it whenever I'm guessing. I'd be up there this weekend if it was my hunt.
After november 1st you can only scout on the weekends

I have a canoe but thanks for the offer.

Back