• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with Spontaneous Road Trip to the Smokies? NC, TN? etc.

gcr0003

SH Member
The wife has two weeks off in between semesters so I thought I'd take a week off and go for a little road trip. We are just throwing this trip together as we go but we would love suggestions on places to go, places to stay etc. We are traveling north from Huntsville, Alabama. We are taking the Seqouia and may camp in the vehicle, tent, or even hammocks. Anyone know of good places to camp out, primitive or other? She mentioned a place she saw and wanted to check out called Max Patch in North Carolina. It appears to be about a 5 hour drive for us. So I am thinking we will head that way then hike it in the morning? Also taking suggestions on good hikes withing 200 miles of there. Really, any prior knowledge of the smokies would be helpful. Additionally, we have debated on taking the canoe if there are decent river, streams or lakes to paddle. Not looking for anything to adventurous but a solid paddle would be worth hauling the canoe with to me. I may or may not do a little fishing too. I know this is about as scattered as it gets but let me know what you got. We have 6 days so we may do a half day of activities + drive, half day of activities + drive, etc. and make big loop back if that makes sense.

Thanks

There are quite a few trails in the National Park. I don't have experience with camping around there but I believe there are some spots near Gatlinburg to camp. Gatlinburg can be pretty touristy. The aquarium is nice and there are plenty of spots to eat at. Just depends on what you're looking for. Hike in the morning and go into town for dinner. I've seen people fly fishing in rivers in the area but haven't done it myself. Maybe @catman529 can chime in.

As warm as it'll be, I suggest focusing on trails with creeks and waterfalls, as you'll likely want to cool off during the middle part of the days. The trails near Gatlinburg are generally fantastic, but will likely have more trail traffic than other parts of the AT. If you make it over that way, hiking up to Rainbow Falls is a great early morning or late afternoon hike, assuming you and the Mrs. are in pretty good shape. If you're in the National Park, make sure you read up on the fishing regulations and buy the right licenses/permits, as they're different from the rest of TN (e.g., no treble hooks allowed). My folks have always stayed at the Riverhouse at the Park, which is the last hotel in Gatlinburg before the Park entrance. There's a little creek and levy out back you can fish in, and it's an awesome home-base for going to trails each day. If you decide to go that route, send me a PM and I can get you some additional info from my Dad, who's basically a savant on the trails in the area.

We hiked up the Cumberland Gap trail several years back and pitched our tent on to at the horse corral. It was Beautiful and in September not many people there. Most of them camped at the main camping ground. We had our area all to ourselves. Some black bear and grey wolf but didn't see any. Heard the wolfs at dark. Recommend Cades Cove also.

If you have a decent chunk of time (which it sounds like you do) I would hit these highlights.
1) cades cove. It’s an 11 mile loop guaranteed to catch great chances to see black bear. On weekends they have the mornings closed to vehicles and only open to bikes. Abrams falls trail head is around the midway point on the loop. That’s a great hike and one of the streams with best chance to catch sizable brownies (if you’re into that)
2) Alum cave bluff. Great hike where you can get your legs working and cool destination. Also same day you could do rainbow falls.
3)drive newfound gap and walk to view point on clingmans dome....take friggin sweet selfie with wife for Christmas card.
4) drive to Asheville side and hit up cataloochee area. There you can have a great chance at seeing to elk herd. Also cataloochee is a fun campsite
5) big creek trail off I-26 in the park. Hike to mouse creek falls and at halfway point jump into the midnight hole to cool off

Those are my top areas in smokies as far as “must see”

If you really want to bring the canoe the finger lakes offer cool paddles (I’ve done a trip on calderwood years ago). Fontana also ive heard is nice however I have never made it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a decent chunk of time (which it sounds like you do) I would hit these highlights.
1) cades cove. It’s an 11 mile loop guaranteed to catch great chances to see black bear. On weekends they have the mornings closed to vehicles and only open to bikes. Abrams falls trail head is around the midway point on the loop. That’s a great hike and one of the streams with best chance to catch sizable brownies (if you’re into that)
2) Alum cave bluff. Great hike where you can get your legs working and cool destination. Also same day you could do rainbow falls.
3)drive newfound gap and walk to view point on clingmans dome....take friggin sweet selfie with wife for Christmas card.
4) drive to Asheville side and hit up cataloochee area. There you can have a great chance at seeing to elk herd. Also cataloochee is a fun campsite
5) big creek trail off I-26 in the park. Hike to mouse creek falls and at halfway point jump into the midnight hole to cool off

Those are my top areas in smokies as far as “must see”

If you really want to bring the canoe the finger lakes offer cool paddles (I’ve done a trip on calderwood years ago). Fontana also ive heard is nice however I have never made it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of the places and trails you listed I found today and was trying to put together a big loop to do them all. Thanks for the suggestions! Glad to know they’re must sees.

If you wind up near Gatlinburg go to Cade’s cove. We always see deer and turkey and aren’t surprised to see bear and elk either. There are plenty of hiking trails there also.

We were down there last month for a family reunion. Stayed up in pegion forge. If you use ONX look at your map. I browsed at mine down there and was surprised at what showed up in the National park for trails and such.
We went white water rafting on the Pigeon river. Hartford Tn. Was a lot of fun. Not the meanest river, but fun. I think it had one class 4. If you never went before, it's a good place to start.
Check out groupon for deals. Plus make sure they are still letting the Dam out.
Rainbow falls gets a lot of traffic. But it's semi paved. I think I like Grotto falls better. Good hike and you can walk under the falls. If it's busy, parking is a premium. So heads up. May have to walk 1/2 mile just to get to the trail.
I recommend stopping at the Elkmont campground up on the north side. You can walk the river and see all the old summer homes they evicted people from. If that's interesting to you or not.

Metcalf park is a good place for an afternoon picnic. Grills and you can walk in the river if you want. Nice place to just listen to the water go by.

Few places for options. Have a great time!

Weather looks rough this week but we ain’t no quitters so we’re going anyway. Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. We are about to wear these boots out.

I would start right there in al at Desoto state park it’s beautiful there, trails and water falls.

Cases cove is a must. They have massive deer there. You will have the opportunity to see some world class bucks.

All the stuff already mentioned

Fall creek falls is nice.

If you want something in doors and impressive go to the Biltmore mansion build by the Vanderbilt’s and 178000 of amazing

See you in a tree, Ricky

Back