• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hi all. Soon to be a saddle hunter

Pandora

Hello gents and any fellow ladies on the forum. I wanted to introduce myself at the onset of jointing the site rather then be a "lurker". I have been an avid bow hunter all my life - all stand and ground blind hunting mostly in the state of Maryland. I was introduced to saddle hunting by a friend and recently ordered a saddle from New Tribe. I'm really looking forward to the versatility of hunting from the saddle. I should have the saddle in a week or less, and plan on lots of practicing in a tree at home before taking it to the field. Thanks for all the tips and tricks you seasoned saddle hunters have posted on here!

Cheers!!!

Welcome! There is a LOT of good information on this forum and a lot of smart people that can help you out. If you haven't already, watch Boswell's tree saddle videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ

Don't get discouraged if you are uncomfortable the first few tries. There is a learning curve. If you stick with it, you'll find it to be a very rewarding way to hunt.

Welcome! You are the first lady that I know of on here! :D

Practice, practice, practice and don't give up! We are here to help with any questions! :cool:

Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice and links to check out. I plan to be a student of your cumulative knowledge. I will tell you what sold me on the saddle the first time I got in one, was the feeling of security. As I've gotten older (and hopefully wiser), I am still a bit uncomfortable at the top of a ladder stand. I always am tethered with my harness, but the thought of even falling and having the harness catching me is abhorrent.

A little bit about me: I've been bow hunting a little over 20 years. Over the years I've had a bunch of different bows and currently shoot the Matthews Chill X (29" draw; 60lb draw weight; 423 grain VAP arrows). Bow hunting is my absolute favorite. I had the opportunity to shoot my first antelope last year in Wyoming on a spot and stalk hunt. I hunt whitetail mainly on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Besides whitetail hunting I am an avid waterfowler.

Thank you all again for your insight into this new type of hunting.

Oh, one question. Do any of you use rope ascenders on your ropes? If so, any recommendations on manufactures/models.

Cheers!

Swamp.... Thank you for the recommendation. The same ascender was recommended to me by my friend that introduced me to the saddle. I have trying to order the Ropeman 1, without success. Has anyone used the Ropeman 2?

The ropeman 2 is made for a smaller diameter rope. I believe someone here tried it and said the teeth were to aggressive on it. Not sure...

I got mine off of amazon but my friend tried a while back and it was out of stock. Took over a month to come in. I don't see any available right now. Just keep checking.

Yea the ropeman 1 is what you want. Someone tried the ropeman 2 and it didn't work for our purposes.

Thank you, Redsquirrel. I ordered 2 of the Ropeman 1's from a company called Trekkinn. But they keep delaying the shipment. Fingers are crossed that they will actually get here.

Pandora, I ordered from trekkinn and it does take a while since they are overseas but my orders did show up probably a week to week and half after the original date they quoted, so just be patient, and good luck. I think you'll love the ropeman, imo they are easier than a prussik

Pandora, I ordered from trekkinn and it does take a while since they are overseas but my orders did show up probably a week to week and half after the original date they quoted, so just be patient, and good luck. I think you'll love the ropeman, imo they are easier than a prussik

Thank you, Xchaos. Hopefully I will not have to resort to alternatives.

Pandora said:
Thank you, Xchaos. Hopefully I will not have to resort to alternatives.
The blakes hitches that they come with will work well enough to get you by until your ascenders come.

I bought the Ropeman 2 and it didn't work for our purposes. The teeth were too aggressive and wouldn't release the rope when I needed it. I sold it and bought the Ropeman 1 and never looked back. You will be very happy with it.

I appreciate the advice on the Ropeman 1. I received another email from the company I ordered the Ropeman 1 ascenders through stating that shipment was delayed again. This is the third shipping delay. I am still holding out hope that they will arrive, but I want to plan on an alternative. Has anyone used this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Kong-Duck-Rope-Cl ... k+ascender

The teeth on it seems to be similar to that of the Ropeman 1 and not aggressive like the Ropeman 2.

Pandora said:
I appreciate the advice on the Ropeman 1. I received another email from the company I ordered the Ropeman 1 ascenders through stating that shipment was delayed again. This is the third shipping delay. I am still holding out hope that they will arrive, but I want to plan on an alternative. Has anyone used this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Kong-Duck-Rope-Cl ... k+ascender

The teeth on it seems to be similar to that of the Ropeman 1 and not aggressive like the Ropeman 2.
I got one of those for my new project this summer. I made a webbing tree strap that has a single strand of webbing coming off the tree. The duck is approved for use on webbing so I went with that one. I have not tried it on any rope but it works very well for me and I am impressed with the quality.

Guess what arrived tonight??? Well, not my Aero saddle, but my Ropeman 1 ascenders!!! I am getting excited. ;) ;)

I sat tonight for a few hours... saw a few eagles, but no deer. Going to get in the stand again in the mornin and try again. It might be hot as heck, but it sure does feel good to be hunting again!!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 73
Awesome!! I still have 1 week to go! I'm jealous! :D

Redsquirrel... New Jersey?

I live on the Delaware/Maryland border. I could nearly throw a rock over into Maryland. I have places to hunt in both states.... it makes it nice.

A few fawns came in this morning, nothing else. But it sure was nice just to be in a tree and to watch the deer. So looking forward to doing it out of my new saddle when it gets here.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 58
Back